Smoking With Tea

sotv

I have watched a video here on using a combination of tea, rice and spices to smoke some salmon pieces (recipe underneath video) anyone any experience of smoking with tea? what sort of finished flavour does it produce, is it a delicate or a strong smoke flavour? In salmon I would hope delicate. I actually don't drink tea or coffee, so no idea how it would work, as a flavour? 

He certainly makes the different tea smoked recipes look appetising, just unsure of the finished flavour and whether the investment in the ingredients is worth it?

2 hours ago, sotv said:

I have watched a video here on using a combination of tea, rice and spices to smoke some salmon pieces (recipe underneath video) anyone any experience of smoking with tea? what sort of finished flavour does it produce, is it a delicate or a strong smoke flavour? In salmon I would hope delicate. I actually don't drink tea or coffee, so no idea how it would work, as a flavour? 

He certainly makes the different tea smoked recipes look appetising, just unsure of the finished flavour and whether the investment in the ingredients is worth it?

It would have to depend on the blend of the tea leaves I would have thought! So an Assam would be a fairly strong smoke and a Gunpowder would be quite heavy/strong. The smoking process, I've not done masses of this type of thing so anything I say here could be way off of the facts but the basics should remain, strong flavoured/smelling tea and longer smoking times results in a heavier smoked product at the end. Not much help but its as much as I have in my armoury of tea smoking.? Large leaf tea's work far better than fine tea leaves and that covers my entire knowledge other than that Tea smoked Pork is very tasty.?  

Edited by Brinkman
added content.
  • Like 1

This type of hot smoking will usually give quite a strong smoke flavour on the surface of the fish. I will be preparing some cold smoked salmon fillets today and so I will follow his salmon recipe this afternoon (weather permitting) and let you know... I will do some with and without the dark soy marinade though as his marinade will make the salmon very sweet.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Brinkman said:

Tea smoked Pork is very tasty.?  

That's interesting, read about seafood and chicken working with it, didn't realise it worked with pork as well.

1 hour ago, Wade said:

This type of hot smoking will usually give quite a strong smoke flavour on the surface of the fish. I will be preparing some cold smoked salmon fillets today and so I will follow his salmon recipe this afternoon (weather permitting) and let you know... I will do some with and without the dark soy marinade though as his marinade will make the salmon very sweet.

Look forward to reading your findings on it. The idea of different flavourings interest me. I have vaped for 6 years and mix my own liquids and have literally hundreds of flavours. Although liquid flavourings won't help with smoking except for maybe the water pan?. The use of different items other than wood to influence the finished flavour of the meat  or fish other than just marinades is something I would like to explore in the future.

p.s. Grateful for all the help. But If you start putting on a few pounds what with the beef, pancetta and now this. If your wife starts complaining, please don't blame me. ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1