Day after the Bank Holiday

Brinkman

As I stepped from the garden into the kitchen yesterday, the light drizzle clinging to my hair and plastic poncho, the smell of smoked roast pork belly wafted across the kitchen, the hound stopped snoring, instantly alert to the possibility of a free meal, the memsahib, less impressed, admitted it did, both look and smell, quite nice! High praise indeed from someone not known to care overly for any pork products other than bacon. This was no ordinary pork belly, for this was the first one smoked on the new offset using heat beads, hickory logs, and my own special rub, this was a crackling and meat triumph, this was man cave cooking at its best! The memsahib managed 'yeah its ok if you like that kinda thing' Oh well you cant win em all.?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smokin Monkey said:

I get the same response all the time, can we have something ordinary? :wife:

You would think that they would be happy we are at home where they can keep an eye on us and not down the pub or on the golf course but oh no, its 'why have you bought that' and 'its your money you can spend it on anything you want' when you know that translates as 'why are you spending our money on this'. Something ordinary! I'll give her something ordinary, beans on toast, that ordinary enough for you? Smoked of course.?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Got to be careful now what I say on the Forum, she has made herself a member! So in response to your post, no I do not spend a lot on BBQ Equipment, and yummy, I like Beans on Toast ?

I can say anything I want, I'm the one with the Offset, ProQ and the meat!? Oh and I'm old and sex doesn't bother me anymore!!! So she tells me?

Edited by Brinkman
  • Haha 3

I just did sous vide sausages browned in skillet, and I got "looks anemic, but they tasted nice......".  That will do.  every dish is an experiment, Triumphs have been curry and rib eye steak so far.  Got 2 sous vide dinners next week and  on BBQ his weekend  Wood grill tuna steak and Hickory smoke d pork fillet with citrus and coriander dressing.  I will post recipes and photos in relevant place

Edited by Justin

We got invited to a friends bbq and I knew it would be a traditional British affair, dodgy chicken drumstics, lurgey burgers and cremated sausages so I did a pork shoulder the day before to show them the error of their ways. When I was doling out the pulled pork, I explained to them about the 7 hour slow cook over cherry wood and the intracasies of the rub, one of the girls said  " Ohh, this is fab, tastes just like tinned hotdogs !"

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My better half is coming round to the idea of smoking food . She asked why I was obsessed with Bbq equipment. I responded that “ it’s akin to (some !) women’s obsession with shoes ....... “

As I seem to be married to a centipede judging by the amount of shoes ! Needless to say she now gets it ! And understands my G.A.S ailment 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jockaneezer said:

We got invited to a friends bbq and I knew it would be a traditional British affair, dodgy chicken drumstics, lurgey burgers and cremated sausages so I did a pork shoulder the day before to show them the error of their ways. When I was doling out the pulled pork, I explained to them about the 7 hour slow cook over cherry wood and the intracasies of the rub, one of the girls said  " Ohh, this is fab, tastes just like tinned hotdogs !"

Had something similar last weekend, dried up roast pork, crackling so salty I thought I was following down Lot's wife's road. I had taken a whole bunch of knockwurst which I'd lovingly made and smoked, I love these little devils and so am a little touchy about any adverse comments, and got the same thing "oh these sausage things are like the ones you can get in Lidl" No there bloody not you utter twonk! was what I wanted to say but settled for sulking in the corner of the garden. Grrrrrrr? 

• Haha 2