New bullet smoker

Ripple

I joined this site to learn a bit more about conventional hot and cold smoking, and am in the middle of a build of amy own smoker but had never really considered bbq.  I guess like many, I have had bbqs for years and just enjoyed the social aspect and the food was secondary, but looking through the posts on here has got me fired up (pun intended) about the bbq and low and slow cooking, so, after much prevaricating, I have just bought a Fornetto Razzo 18.  It is being delivered mid week so expect the weather to turn foul.

I want to try a few easy recipes to start so what do people recommend? 

I need to find a better local butcher, because I have not been that impressed with skills of our local butcher, before I buy things like brisket.

Congratulations on your purchase. It's usually recommended on here to do a spatchcock chicken  first as it's cheap and forgiving and will allow you to get a feel for it, the vents, water pan and coals etc so you can maintain that even temp you're looking for as the Razzo is new to you, before attempting other things

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Chae regarding online butchers. I've only really used The Village Butchers so far (since my local butchers is actually pretty good), but I've had decent beef short ribs, spare ribs (St. Louis cut), and chicken wings from them. Not tried them for Brisket though. 

I was a bit dubious shopping for meat online, and generally I prefer to use local shops if I can, but they've impressed me so far. There are plenty of others out there. 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2021 at 11:48 AM, Chae said:

Also, re butchers - there are a lot of online ones that deliver depending on where you're based so might be worth trying that if you're not happy with things in your local area.

All the online butchers seem quite expensive to me given that I can’t look at the meat before buying. 
i guess I should try and work with the local butcher. 

• Like 3

On 2/27/2021 at 7:52 AM, sotv said:

Congratulations on your purchase. It's usually recommended on here to do a spatchcock chicken  first as it's cheap and forgiving and will allow you to get a feel for it, the vents, water pan and coals etc so you can maintain that even temp you're looking for as the Razzo is new to you, before attempting other things

So, I have searched on here for spatchcock recipes and I am struggling to find any detail e.g.

• what temperature, 225, 325?
  • water pan empty, water filled, sand filled or removed?
  • expected cooking time
  • brine or not, dry brine, wet brine, injected
  • what rub
  • how much charcoal, obviously it is a short burn so I guess not a full grate
  • how much wood? 
  • sauce or not

I know I need to experiment but at the moment there are too many variables 

10 hours ago, Ripple said:

All the online butchers seem quite expensive to me given that I can’t look at the meat before buying. 
i guess I should try and work with the local butcher. 

I've used Grid Iron the last couple of times as I wanted outdoor reared pork to make bacon, and I know the butcher I use locally doesn't guarantee that, and had been let down a couple of times with the quality of pork belly from him. I haven't been disappointed so far with Grid Iron.

It all depends on what you want from your meat and what your local butcher can provide. I've also bought meat from Costco, I know a lot of people on here use Bookers, and you can still pick up decent cuts from supermarkets as well.

I suppose with online buying you can always let them know if you're unhappy and should be able to get a replacement or get your money back.

4 hours ago, Chae said:

I've used Grid Iron the last couple of times as I wanted outdoor reared pork to make bacon, and I know the butcher I use locally doesn't guarantee that, and had been let down a couple of times with the quality of pork belly from him. I haven't been disappointed so far with Grid Iron.

It all depends on what you want from your meat and what your local butcher can provide. I've also bought meat from Costco, I know a lot of people on here use Bookers, and you can still pick up decent cuts from supermarkets as well.

I suppose with online buying you can always let them know if you're unhappy and should be able to get a replacement or get your money back.

I have been looking in Makro, not a lot of choice at the moment with catering businesses mostly closed but the prices are good, hopefully the choice will improve as lockdown eases.

• Like 1

The Razzo arrived today and I am impressed with the quality for the price compared to other bbqs I have seen, it is now assembled and ready to go. 

I shall fire it up tomorrow to get a feel for temperature control etc and hope to be cooking chicken on Friday or Saturday. I have some chicken drumsticks in the freezer for the first cook but plan to do a spatchcock chicken at the weekend, I shall post pictures unless it is a complete disaster!