Hangikjöt - Better known as Icelandic smoked lamb

Wade

One of my customers has Icelandic friends and they were recently given some Hangikjöt. They enjoyed it so much that they asked me if I could produce some for them. Without hesitation I immediately replied... "WTF is Hangikjöt???"

I did a bit of investigation online and found that it is effectively lamb with a gammon or bacon cure that is smoked. There are actually several versions - one that is wet brine cured, another that is dry cured - both of which you roast. Another is dry cured and then air dried. As we were so close to Christmas I thought that it would be worth giving the wet brine roasting joint style a try. As they raise lamb on their farm, they supplied the lamb and I am doing the rest. 

*** just a note on the smoking. The Icelandic's burn animal dung for the authentic smoke flavour - but my EHO didn't seem too keen on that. I am therefore using Hickory instead.

A selection of lamb joints

20201203_162457.thumb.jpg.50d5d62c5a5d28bdf629bf9e8f06e5bc.jpg

As a first attempt and with limited time, I am doing an injection cure. This will not only speed up the cure time but will also help protect against sour bone.

20201203_165107.thumb.jpg.c4657df4a9def4f6aa77e03d16277474.jpg

Left for 7 days to cure and now in the smoker

20201209_085114.thumb.jpg.a2e5cee539c6031a77f789891c53ae1c.jpg

They have already had a day and a half in the smoker. I will take them out tomorrow and vac pac them, place hem in the fridge to allow the smoke flavour to penetrate between now and Christmas.

I am curious as to how they will turn out. I will let you know.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...