Globaltic - Charcoal

Skagg2000

I used this on the Weber on Friday night to cook some steaks and asparagus and yesterday cooked some short ribs on the kamado and smoked some potatoes for potato salad on the Weber. Also grilled up some sausages and corn after the ribs came off.

Lit in the chimney it burns well, burns hot too with a nice aroma. I shut the Weber down when done on Friday and I would say I probably had 70% left over of usable charcoal from a full chimneys worth for yesterdays cook, pieces didn't break up either.

Filled the kamado and it burnt well, very consistent heat, I left it running to do the grilling and probably around 30% used of a full fire bowl when the ribs finished.

I will say it generates quite a bit of light ash which blows around a bit and the ash has a brown tinge to it. No biggie though.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I think im gonna buy some next time, I got 2 bags of the restaurant quality CPL blue bags last time....1st bag was just average. Got one more bag of it to get through though.

So far EBC charcoal has the crown for me, but this stuff looks like it has the potential to beat it👍😁

Globaltic.ee

Nice mix of size, not particularly dense wood, therefore easy to light & burns hot, but i think you would get through a fair bit during long cooks. It states on the bag 5kg will do 7/8kg of meat for a 4 hour cook.

For lumpwood, If I can't get Big K BCH15, then EBC is next in line followed by Globaltic, then Green Olive.

For Briquettes, Weber, then Aussie Heatbeads. Everything else I tried seems to have something in there constitution that taints the meat.

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, Chae said:

On the subject of Globaltic - has anyone tried the Globaltic Briquettes? I normally use the ProQ Cocoshell Briquettes but am wanting to change it up a little and wondered if anyone had used these before?

I have a couple of bags at the moment & quite happy with it, Lights easier than Heatbeads, decent, steady hot burn. no nasty smells. I'd buy it again.

Cheers n Gone Nick 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

I have a couple of bags at the moment & quite happy with it, Lights easier than Heatbeads, decent, steady hot burn. no nasty smells. I'd buy it again.

Cheers n Gone Nick 

Thanks Nick - would you say it's has little or a lot of ash when it burns? I need something quite low ash as I use a wee ProQ Ranger and for long smokes it can sometimes choke up. I haven't tried Heatbeads either so I may need to play about

Heat beads are my go-to briquettes. They take a little longer to light but burn hot and long with little Ash. I do have stocks of other briquettes from several burn comparisons I have done. Most are actually fine but there are a few that I avoid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wade said:

Heat beads are my go-to briquettes. They take a little longer to light but burn hot and long with little Ash. I do have stocks of other briquettes from several burn comparisons I have done. Most are actually fine but there are a few that I avoid.

I might have to start experimenting with some others as well then - I've already found a few I'm not so keen on as well. I saw Globaltic were doing a deal with their charcoal & briquettes so was thinking of splashing out as I have read their charcoal is pretty good