OH OH OH! What's Everyone Cooking For Christmas?

Smokin Monkey

We've already ordered our M&S Christmas dinner, just chuck it all in the oven for a stress free day .....

Have done so for the last 3 years, gives us time to pop to the pub for a lunchtime drink and then chill all afternoon, it's only the 3 of us this year and we still have to sort the horse and 30 chickens so we'll be busy as well.... after a full English breakfast and bucks fizz  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, valve90210 said:

With my parents having seen Wade's fatty making demonstration a few weeks ago, my parents are seriously considering adding a fatty to the christmas menu! ( I shall definitely be encouraging this!!

You could make it a festive one by adding a layer of sage and onion stuffing and also some cranberries. Instead of (or as well as) the chicken try adding some duck breast...

• Like 1

Cooking in the traditional way, no smoking. But I cook a Packington Free Range Cockerel with goose fat potatoes and all the trimmings for the main meal now. Found over the last couple of years the meat on a Cockerel is so much more juicier and tastier than a turkey. Can thoroughly recommend if you find turkey a bit bland and dry and you can get them up to 6kg+ which will feed 10 comfortably..

Only ever see them at Christmas and Easter, I would use them in place of chicken, if they were more widely available throughout the year. Haven't the freezer space to store them unfortunately.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

The Cockerel sounds interesting.

They're really tasty. Converted a few other people to them now. As I say I get mine from my local butcher. Plenty of other farms do them, so always worth trying your local independent butcher,  to see if they sell them, or you can get them delivered from the farms direct., or Ocado sell the Packington Farm ones, but they are in and out of stock at the moment for xmas...

Costs around £8 a kg which is comparable to a Bronze Free Range Turkey. Even if you don't have one for xmas dinner,  If you have the freezer space. I reckon these would smoke really well.

How good are you at temperature control in the drum? If you have that mastered then the turkey will be a breeze. Even if you just hot roast it in there at ~160 C it will stay nice and moist and will have a nice smoky flavour. Just remember to open up both ends of the turkey to allow a good air flow through as it smokes and do not stuff it. It will cook quicker than in the kitchen oven and once it reaches ~75C it is done.

If you felt adventurous then you could brine it first - but that isn't really necessary for your first attempt :thumb1: