Hi from Colchester

Deano

Hey everybody, it's good to find an active UK based smoking forum. Only started smoking a few months ago and it's been a step learning curve.

My dad gave me his old barbie, a char-griller smokin' outlaw and that was it. First attempt actually went pretty well, despite leaks everywhere, second was a bit better after a few seals, 3rd was worse, finished mods, 4th was okay, 5th wasn't and then a 6th 2kg butt took 14 hours before I gave up and stuck it in the oven 😄.

Between cooks 2 and 3 I won a monolith kamado junior so have been doing quite a few cooks on that too, pulled lamb being a revelation.

I've decided to stop throwing good money after bad with the smoking outlaw after reading the amazing ribs review and finding it explained a lot, but I still wanted an offset. Came close to getting a cactus Jack on eBay but was outbid at the last moment. With everywhere else being out of stock of my second choice, the Oklahoma Joe longhorn, I today ordered a Fornetto Razzo 22 as they were only 228 on eBay and am looking forward to seeing how vertical smoking works!

Sorry for the essay.

Hi Deano and welcome. Yes, many start with offsets and the lower end models can take a lot of mods. Once you have mastered the vertical smoker you will realise just how much additional time and effort the offsets are. With the Fornetto you should find the temperature in the cooking chamber much more even and easier to maintain.

Cheers, Wade

Thanks for the welcome, guys. She turned up today but I've not had a chance to evaluate her properly yet. Did a two hour burn in at 300, will do another one tomorrow whilst I'm doing a leg of lamb on the monolith. Will be doing some ribs on the Fornetto on Sunday, with a bit of luck.

Edited by Deano

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

I’m in Great tey 

9 minutes ago, Justin said:

In Braintree

Hi, both just down the road. I've not long been in Colchester so still getting to know the area. Any decent barbie stores around?

On 6/24/2020 at 10:06 AM, Deano said:

Hi, both just down the road. I've not long been in Colchester so still getting to know the area. Any decent barbie stores around?

In Marks tey there is Camperite (Camping shop ) they stock green olive co charcoal ! And other  stuff as accessories. 
In Aldham there is Millrace garden centre is good for BbQ stuff https://www.millracegardencentre.co.uk

Both Are near each other 

Edited by Raptor72

21 hours ago, U can do that again said:

Afternoon, understand the BBQ Barn in Sidcup are opening a store in Southend soon, believe the signage has gone up.Attached screenshot of part of Sidcup shop, in normal times have have a lot of K-Joe demos.

1831F0E7-3B33-4B7D-A469-86C3D3C9AEB9.png

9 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

In Marks tey there is Camperite (Camping shop ) they stock green olive co charcoal ! And other  stuff as accessories. 
In Aldham there is Millrace garden centre is good for BbQ stuff https://www.millracegardencentre.co.uk

Both Are near each other 

3 minutes ago, Justin said:

There is bugger all in Braintree, even the local garden centre as scaled back and has no Weber stuff.

Thanks for the info, fellas. Have only ventured out about as far as poplar nurseries which had a good Weber range.

54 minutes ago, Deano said:

Yeah I live 5 mins from poplar 

camperite is off the big roundabout before poplar 

blue goose and the bifold windows 

54 minutes ago, Deano said:

Thanks for the info, fellas. Have only ventured out about as far as poplar nurseries which had a good Weber range.