Hello!

Anth2591

Been a lurker for quite a while, so thought I’d best sign up! Very helpful forum and I’ve learnt a hell of a lot from it! 

From the North east, Teesside to be exact.
I'm only 6 months into smoking, although I’ve been grilling/bbq’ing for a number of years! I started with a gifted drum/oil barrel type, which leaked like a good’un and was hard to control temps - after a few mods I can now keep the temps stable for a good 4/5/6 hours depending on if I use Weber briquettes or heat beads - linger with the heat beads. To say it’s been a learning curve is an understatement, but has been enjoyable all the same. I’m in the process of looking to upgrade now, favouring more towards the ProQ Frontier, than anything else. Sure I’ll be firing questions a round and hopefully be able to give my opinion on things aswell. 

• Like 2

Hi and:welcome:

I love my bullet smoker, it's been a great piece of kit ti learn on plus the set it and forget it suits my life style. I like it when i have a bad/hard cook (though not at the time) as we learn more from our failures/mistakes and improve from there plus it's all part of the experience to master and overcome :) . I think it makes the food taste better too😁

• Like 1

Cheers 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

Hi & welcome Anth2591...your in good company with the ProQ  Frontier, any questions just ask.

Ice.

Yeah i read on here about them and the WSM and finally decided on the ProQ in the end. Not an easy decision though, a lot of back and forth thinking 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sotv said:

Hi Anth congrats on your purchase, I am sure you will get many hours of fun cooking on it and it is a great unit for doing cold smoking on as well, if that interests you.

Cheers mate! Cold smoking, not something I’ve looked into if I’m being honest, although is something I might consider doing if I can! I do a bit of trout/salmon fishing and know people who do, so I’m sure I’d be able to get some of that on. What else can you cold smoke? 

With fresh caught salmon/trout would prefer to grill or hot smoke it. The larger fillets you can buy for around a tenner of salmon or trout I find easier to work with, only need to be as basic as salt for fish to cure to do . But you can add flavours to it that you think will work. i usually use gin and tonic with cucumber. Very easy to do overall

I regularly cold smoke cheese, bacon, butter and nuts. Bacon is a bit more involved but relatively easy to do and the results can be fantastic. There is a Cold Smoking section on this forum with plenty of instructions an videos to follow from members on here, that will all help you get started on all of these things and as stated earlier the Frontier is an excellent vessel to cold smoke things in with the purchase of something like the ProQ Cold Smoke Generator and wood dust of choice to go with it.

Edited by sotv

1 hour ago, sotv said:

With fresh caught salmon/trout would prefer to grill or hot smoke it. The larger fillets you can buy for around a tenner of salmon or trout I find easier to work with, only need to be as basic as salt for fish to cure to do . But you can add flavours to it that you think will work. i usually use gin and tonic with cucumber. Very easy to do overall

I regularly cold smoke cheese, bacon, butter and nuts. Bacon is a bit more involved but relatively easy to do and the results can be fantastic. There is a Cold Smoking section on this forum with plenty of instructions an videos to follow from members on here, that will all help you get started on all of these things and as stated earlier the Frontier is an excellent vessel to cold smoke things in with the purchase of something like the ProQ Cold Smoke Generator and wood dust of choice to go with it.

Spot on mate, will take a look through that section