Char Sui Pork Belly

David

Received 1kg of salt aged Hampshire belly pork. Marinated for 48 hours with oyster sauce, 5 spice powder, honey, sugar, garlic, light and dark soy, Chinese cooking wine. ( the skin was kept dry).  Pricked the rind with loads of holes (careful not to go too deep into the fat layer). Wrapped the meat area with foil leaving a lip of about 1cm above the rind and covered the rind with sea salt. Cooked on the Kamado  until internal of about 90 degrees C. Removed heat deflector and got the coals hot, removed the salt and foil from the pork and cooked rind down over the coals. 

2E83F0BF-7B81-4384-B1D1-E979A03395C5.thumb.jpeg.b52c97440412db9086dfc3baaabad6f5.jpeg5FDFCA0F-CBE7-4CAE-BF56-584103DDED1A.thumb.jpeg.d711d36670748445d8fa82bff34b5342.jpeg

Edited by David
  • Like 3

Looks great, is the Chinese Cooking Wine (Shaoxing Wine) see it in quite a few Far East recipes I look at. No supermarkets near me sell it, but considering picking one up at a Chinese Supermarket next time I am in Brum, if it is any good?

2 hours ago, sotv said:

Looks great, is the Chinese Cooking Wine (Shaoxing Wine) see it in quite a few Far East recipes I look at. No supermarkets near me sell it, but considering picking one up at a Chinese Supermarket next time I am in Brum, if it is any good?

Yes, it’s Shaoxing wine. You can use dry sherry as a replacement but I think it is just not quite the same.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...