Masterbuilt Gravity 560

TeeBo

3 minutes ago, Will Paidallosgi said:

Excellent!  Have just ordered one myself.  I probably need to spend more on charcoal now as used to get the £12kg 'restaurant lumpwood' bag from Makro for £10 but fear some of the smaller bits will fall through on this?

Yea it's like running a V8. Does burn quick if you're planning to sear lots.  And that's the issue as it's so easy to turn it up quick. 

Going slow n' low isn't too bad. I'd suggest using briquettes during the preseason. I'm planning to do brisket this weekend!

I so get that analogy! I have a car that can easily drop to 14mpg! But that where it's the most searing fun!

Briquettes look like a better fit for this as they burn longer and are a far more uniform size without small bits?

How much heat do you get out of the ash can and can will it work to pop a hickory lump in there - will it catch and smoulder?

Look forward to your pics this weekend. This was my first attempt on my now retired fully manual PITA one! As you can see I turned it.

nNcxCtih.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Will Paidallosgi
  • Like 2

Ordered an Irish 5,5kg brisket from John Davidson. 

Rookie doing the brisket, any tips? I’ve not got an injector.  Will just use salt and pepper also any recommendations on wood flavour? Americans tend to use pecan  which isn’t widely available here  

I'm no expert yet mate but I'd suggest maybe 4:3:2 for coarse salt pepper garlic granules. Put the meat in straight from the fridge {absorbs more smoke cold). I turned mine which I think shows? Lots of other tips out there. I reckon 10 hours in total mind - but absolute expert Harry Soo can do quicker! 

It's a cheap cut so I won't pay more than £7 a kilo. Trim all the fat 'barrier'. 

Report back!

20 hours ago, TeeBo said:

Ordered an Irish 5,5kg brisket from John Davidson. 

Rookie doing the brisket, any tips? I’ve not got an injector.  Will just use salt and pepper also any recommendations on wood flavour? Americans tend to use pecan  which isn’t widely available here  

Inject yes, salt and pepper is now all I use, fat side down if as I presume the heat comes from bottom, wrap early and tightly with some beef broth, let us know how you get on.

My first ever attempt Tri-tip. Before:

IMG_6262.thumb.jpeg.5cb229181a3ed26aed86e86a741af083.jpeg

Trimmed bottom layer silver skin.  Fat cap, carefully sliced it thru to form a 'diamond' shape, and generous helping of sea salt. 

Smoked at 120C with oak wood chips.  Meat probe 54C (fattest bit of the meat), around 40-45 mins. Took it out, got the Masterbuilt to go for 380C+ for sear mode.

Result, after 15 mins quick rest:

IMG_6276.thumb.jpeg.98cde1151e8e1878e1a83a30a2803118.jpegIMG_6278.thumb.jpeg.86b3735cf452670f86aeb8e6646e9579.jpegIMG_6277.thumb.jpeg.2e3ed504f02857a542f02c64a9572375.jpeg

IMG_6279.thumb.jpeg.f9dc5296744cfa09ae76b01a92231c75.jpeg

Recipe based on PitmasterX: 

• Like 1

Wow! That looks absolutely fabulous! 

How much was the Tritip per kilo and what did you think of the taste compared to our more usual UK cuts? 

I just assembled my Masterbuilt - over two hours in 26 degree heat! I'll season it tomorrow and cook on Friday! I'm used to US farenheit for cooking - hopefully can switch it to F?  Hate the mish mash and think in C for everything else! 

2 minutes ago, Will Paidallosgi said:

Wow! That looks absolutely fabulous! 

How much was the Tritip per kilo and what did you think of the taste compared to our more usual UK cuts? 

I just assembled my Masterbuilt - over two hours in 26 degree heat! I'll season it tomorrow and cook on Friday! I'm used to US farenheit for cooking - hopefully can switch it to F?  Hate the mish mash and think in C for everything else! 

Congrats on the purchase! You'll love it!

By default it's set to F.

Got the meat via John Davidson: 

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmaster-bbq/beef/tri-tip-umi

6 minutes ago, Will Paidallosgi said:

It's pricy at £24 per kilo (plus p&p} but is it worth it?  I usually pay about £14 for Welsh ribeye at Makro. How was it? 

Family enjoyed it. We bought bunch of stuff (st louis ribs, steaks, etc) to get free p&p.  Yes, fantastic quality.  I hope I did it justice with it.  Planning my first 5.5kg brisket! 

• Like 1

Looks nice - how was it?

I just did my first 2.5k Brisket.  Bit disappointed - slightly chewy.

Overnight Worcester sauce, SPG + Tex rub and chill, water pan, sprayed with apple juice lots,, over 5 hrs at 230F till it got to 64C, wrapped in 2 layers of foil + spray and a little bbq sauce,  back on till it got to 200F. Left to sit for 2 hrs. Bit tough 😞

I was shocked to see all the juices after letting it stand.  Is this normal:

8R7cyZml.jpg

I will have to slow cook it in those juices sauce for the next meal now to soften.  What am i doing wrong?  It did 'stall' at 64C for ages but 5 hours smoking is about right?  I'll definitely be flipping it next time too to get smoke ring all round.

XaFF6GOh.jpg

18 minutes ago, Will Paidallosgi said:

Looks nice - how was it?

I just did my first 2.5k Brisket.  Bit disappointed - slightly chewy.

Overnight Worcester sauce, SPG + Tex rub and chill, water pan, sprayed with apple juice lots,, over 5 hrs at 230F till it got to 64C, wrapped in 2 layers of foil + spray and a little bbq sauce,  back on till it got to 200F. Left to sit for 2 hrs. Bit tough 😞

I was shocked to see all the juices after letting it stand.  Is this normal:

8R7cyZml.jpg

I will have to slow cook it in those juices sauce for the next meal now to soften.  What am i doing wrong?  It did 'stall' at 64C for ages but 5 hours smoking is about right?  I'll definitely be flipping it next time too to get smoke ring all round.

XaFF6GOh.jpg

Can’t comment. It’s my first attempt. It’s still going, started at 9am...