Chunk wood for smoking

TeeBo

On 5/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, TeeBo said:

I have used them for olive wood (as it's not so common to get hold of) and the wood seems fine to me. It burns nicely with a think smoke and certainly no different than any other ones that i have used.

Just got a delivery from them of cherry and apple and i will be using them over the weekend 

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered from Smokewood Shack in the past. Got some awesome oak barrel chunks from there. The last batch I bought from an eBay seller, and I bought a load of cherry wood (edited: this seems to be the same as the Amazon seller mentioned above).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/gwernyfed-wood

I'm getting low on my wood supplies though, so will need to purchase some new stuff soon enough, so let me know if you have any recommendations.

Edited by paul6057
Update post

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 12:22 PM, Tomcat said:

I have used them for olive wood (as it's not so common to get hold of) and the wood seems fine to me. It burns nicely with a think smoke and certainly no different than any other ones that i have used.

Just got a delivery from them of cherry and apple and i will be using them over the weekend 

I've used them too. The olive wood is really nice...lovely on pork. You don't need much either as it's so hard and dense. I tried cutting a couple of the larger pieces and gave up quickly. It's like trying to cut iron!

One thing that I was reading today was about whether you should remove bark from wood before using it for smoking. I was thinking about this because this wood comes with the bark on. I was reading this blog:

https://www.smokinlicious.com/blog/to-bark-or-not/

I've always removed the bark where I can, but never really had a good reason for doing that, other than I thought that it could create a bit more acrid smoke. The interesting piece in this blog (I haven't validated with other sources so who knows how correct this is, but it sounds legit), suggests that the bark absorbs and stores pollutants, and so if you smoke with the bark on, as the wood burns, it could potentially taint your food.

Anyone else had any thoughts on this one way or another?

21 hours ago, paul6057 said:

One thing that I was reading today was about whether you should remove bark from wood before using it for smoking. I was thinking about this because this wood comes with the bark on. I was reading this blog:

https://www.smokinlicious.com/blog/to-bark-or-not/

I've always removed the bark where I can, but never really had a good reason for doing that, other than I thought that it could create a bit more acrid smoke. The interesting piece in this blog (I haven't validated with other sources so who knows how correct this is, but it sounds legit), suggests that the bark absorbs and stores pollutants, and so if you smoke with the bark on, as the wood burns, it could potentially taint your food.

Anyone else had any thoughts on this one way or another?

The bark will not usually cause a problem. The general rule of thumb is that if it pulls off easily then discard it - if not then leave it on.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/7/2020 at 6:02 AM, TeeBo said:

Been using Webber's Hickory chunk wood. Any recommended independent suppliers? Looking for oak & apple chunks.

contact   email       Joesgotgame9@gmail.com   chrisinthewoodyard@gmail.com

thay might be able to help you get the wood you want