Smokey Mountain Tips

Simon

Hi guys. Was looking for advice while using the WSM. It arrived earlier in the week and the wife has chosen not to kill me for buying it without talking to her (for now). 
What’s the best method to use? How open should I have the vents? Sand or water?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Simon said:

the wife has chosen not to kill me for buying it without talking to her (for now). 

🤣  I know the feeling mate....I'm working on a meat grinder..😎 ...with the WSM being much like the ProQ, I would go with sand.  Most of the ProQ members I think use sand,  you don't have to top it up after a few hours like water. Has far as the vents start off just open and work from there,  watching the temp and it becomes a steep learning curve.

Ice.

• Like 2

Yes mate. I use a pencil width  on vents as a base point sand adjust form there, that way I know where i start form.   It varies of course due to the local conditions at anyone time. Sand is just as good as water as heat sink and does not need topping up

• Like 2

Nice.  I smoke salmon overnight.  But yes it is hands off when doing that.  I  agree be more attentive with ribs.

I am doing pork chops in mushroom onion gravy tonight on the skillet but admittedly using the oven at a low temp for that. It has been wet for days here, never seems to be dry.  I need to smoke a load of cheese but waiting for a dry day.

Good luck with the ribs mate, am jealous

• Like 1