My turn to have a go...

....at using the SF,  not had any time until now....so here I go.

First run I'm sticking with a rack of ribs,  nice and easy and a favourite of both of us.
Didn't get the chance to buy any sand so going with water for this one, we're out for a few hours later on at the village fate/fair, so not sure what time to start the ball rolling??.

I do my version of the 3 2 1 method,  more like 2 2 1 or around those times...now how the hell do I get back from the village do to wrap and put back on?? does the SF do this at all?? t1801.gif  never mind I'll sort it.

Ice.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

See what happens through the cook.

Now the app won't connect to the SF???  it's  flashing green which from what I make of it,  is it's trying to pair, but I did all the setup after the new upgrade.  I'm not taking any chances with us being out later.....so the ribs stay in the fridge until Tue, I'm hoping to have it sorted by then,  time will tell.

Ice.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Phlashster said:

Yes, does sound like Smartfire to WiFi issue.

Phil

Had a quick look online and it's telling me to delete the app and re-load it and pair the two again???....off up the fate now but may try to see if they want to talk to each other when we get back....PITA I know that much.

Ice.

3 hours ago, Icefever said:

Had a quick look online and it's telling me to delete the app and re-load it and pair the two again???....off up the fate now but may try to see if they want to talk to each other when we get back....PITA I know that much.

Ice.

I am sure Mac's will advise you best. I have had the wi-fi drop, not at the extreme distances it is meant to work at that are published for it, but for my conditions, the smoker is at the extremes for my wifi signal. So operates at weak signal. Even though I have excellent signal in the house for my wifi, I have weak 120ft up the garden, where the smoker is

It has re-established itself if the signal has been lost, after a period of time by itself if I am out and has continued with settings you have keyed in, even if showing offline on your device.

I monitor mine on my windows laptop, but if signal dropped, and I am about, I walk up the garden with my phone, so the phone still shows the wi-fi signal and then re-sync it via that. If the phone shows a connection with the smartfire after refreshing, then it will show on my laptop in the house also. iyswim

What strength is you wifi signal, if you look at the app when it is connected?

Edited by sotv

13 hours ago, sotv said:

even if showing offline on your device.

This is what was showing...so I thought it was not running the SF,  but I must admit it did show the temp???.

I cook out by the garage which is about 30' from the wifi hub, but sat indoors by the hub it still looked to me like it was not connected.  I had it plugged into the power pack and the fan was on, even thou I had the fan showing off on the app??

Work today so will take more time later on to sit and sort it out...it could be me mind you. 🤔

13 hours ago, sotv said:

What strength is you wifi signal, if you look at the app when it is connected?

From what I remember it showed nothing??? another point to check out later??

Ice.

I connect/pair my SF in the house, so I have an excellent signal, rather than weak up the garden, when setting it up. Then just take it to the proQ and attach.

If you have an excellent or V.Good, Good Signal it should show green and Weak shows orange. No signal, connection shows Pit and Food Offline on the app

Is this what you are seeing?

This is an excellent signal from inside my house all green bars next to steve controller

step1.thumb.png.ea20d73f21c0ef5c516d13743375fc30.png

Shows Strength of signal by clicking on Steve Controller on mine

step2.thumb.png.020b461789385718c3af57877d819ba6.png

Smartfire taken up to the ProQ in the Garden, Signal Shows Weak

step3.thumb.png.abae400026ab09454ca9c32671f4ad9d.png

Although Signal weak still showing Probe temp fine on app

step4.thumb.png.e23bbede9bd553070bfc342872529620.png

If it was to drop signal completely, this is what the app screen shows everything offline and wifi signal shows as offline. But the fan would still be working, although I can not see the temps till it reconnects.

step3a.thumb.png.061c12c553062c49e14da32eb32105f3.png

step5.thumb.png.f6385c9961b61549dea9d6b87466e80e.png

You probably know all this already, but just in case?

Edited by sotv

No Steve,  it's all new, I'm learning as I go....as you do with a new toy...

ok photo 1....it shows all the same,  but no signal.

photo 5 is what I had when I turned it off.

I will sit down and start at the beginning later on and use these photos as a guide...we'll sort it between all of us.... :thumb1:  cheers mate.

Ice.

7 minutes ago, Icefever said:

No Steve,  it's all new, I'm learning as I go....as you do with a new toy...

ok photo 1....it shows all the same,  but no signal.

photo 5 is what I had when I turned it off.

I will sit down and start at the beginning later on and use these photos as a guide...we'll sort it between all of us.... :thumb1:  cheers mate.

Ice.

Ok, I didn't want to assume 😀

If you are not showing a green or orange signal on the wi-fi you're not connected. Just keep pressing the refresh button next to devices nearby, if it isn't showing a connection, by itself after 45 seconds. Until you are showing some green or orange bars you aren't connected.

p.s. You have set the wifi pass code up in the app and set it up to connect automatically to your wifi everytime it is switched on? as per the very bottom of photo 2 and 3? Automatically connect?

As you say we will all get there, with some help, might be struggling with temp control. But sort of understand the wifi side of it. Hotspot may be a different ball game come Billing though😀

Edited by sotv

@Icefever

I have only paired mine to wifi once. I did have some minor issues, but that was settings on my router not in Smartfire. 

Flashing green means trying to connect to the Wifi using credentials it knows about.

Does it stop flashing green after 60 seconds and start flashing dark blue? If so , it means it cant connect to the Wifi it knows about and is now in pairing mode waiting for you to tell it which network to use. After 4 minutes in this state, it will reboot to see if the network it knows about is now available. So timing is important.

I recommend doing all of the setup inside the house where you know signal strength can't be an issue.

Once you are confident that everything is working, move out to where your smoker is. 

Phil.

Cheers Phil..:thumb1:  with help from @sotv and yourself I'll sort it.  When I powered up first time i entered the password for my BT wifi and it all went through ok, as far has I can tell??

Now with the colour codes I can watch out for that....it was cyan to start...most of the time I only see f-green.....so with Steve's photo's and your info I can't wait to have another go....just thinking I did take the SF outside by the garage and powered up and just took it for granted everything was ok. maybe it didn't log on to the hub???

Ice.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:48 AM, Icefever said:

Having a dry run at the moment,  getting two different reading from the SF and the Inkbird???  having a cuppa right now trying to sort out why the difference of 10c???

Ice.

Put my Maverick ET-732 pit probe in alongside the Smartfire for some ribs I am cooking at the moment both next too each other but not touching

Smartfire showing running at 256F (aimed for 225F) Maverick showing 271F

15F difference, not sure which one is reading correctly, but as cooking at least 30F above what I want anyway another 15F potential difference is a bit concerning.

Can't do a boiling water test at the moment to see which one is more accurate, but will do tomorrow.

Doing food probes not really practical with ribs, but what worries me is if it is the smartfire probes are the ones out, then 15F is a big temp difference for a finished cooked temperature?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Smartfire showing running at 256F (aimed for 225F) Maverick showing 271F

My SF and my Inkbird were usually within a C of each other when i first tested. I haven't tried since. I have just assumed they are still near enough.

It will be interesting to see which is most accurate.

Phil.