Hot smoking with sawdust.

martin_b

Guys

I want to do a pork shoulder, slow and low and smokey.  Issue is I don't have any wood chunks but I do have bags and bags of wood sawdust i use for cold smoking salmon.   I obviously cant put the sawdust directly onto the coals, but would it give sufficient smoke to use the large Pro Q spiral tray just as you would when cold smoking?

TIA

Martin

Hi Martin

Depending on how hot you will be smoking the pork you may find that the ProQ smoker will just burn the sawdust too quickly. You may want to try making a large foil parcel from several layers of kitchen foil, fill with your sawdust and then punch some holes in the top. Place this over the burning coals (though not directly on them) and you should find that it produces smoke over a longer period.

• Like 3

On 6/26/2019 at 8:16 AM, Wade said:

Hi Martin

Depending on how hot you will be smoking the pork you may find that the ProQ smoker will just burn the sawdust too quickly. You may want to try making a large foil parcel from several layers of kitchen foil, fill with your sawdust and then punch some holes in the top. Place this over the burning coals (though not directly on them) and you should find that it produces smoke over a longer period.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I agree this method should work. The trick is to prevent air flow through the foil, as this will allow flame, and if all you are after is smoke, this should prevent an oxygen supply to it, and just let the smoke out. 

I would say try and compress it as much as you can though, as this will help it smoke longer by removing as much air from between the shavings as possible.