I've found a Nut.

Icefever

When I was setting up the frontier on Sunday I put a layer of foil in the bottom to catch most of the ash, makes it easier to clean. Now one of the bottom daisy wheel vents has been a little loose and I noticed that where two of the vents are pop rivets one is a bolt & nut. I tightened it and this got me thinking ...why...then I thought maybe it's for the Smartfire??  m1201.gif

Ice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Icefever said:

When I was setting up the frontier on Sunday I put a layer of foil in the bottom to catch most of the ash, makes it easier to clean. Now one of the bottom daisy wheel vents has been a little loose and I noticed that where two of the vents are pop rivets one is a bolt & nut. I tightened it and this got me thinking ...why...then I thought maybe it's for the Smartfire?? 

That's exactly why it is there. :)  Pro Q confirmed to me when i bought mine. They were a bit cagey about it and wouldn't specify a single brand of controller but did confirm it was for a controller.

I didn't foil my fire bowl. Perhaps I should. Saying that, clean up is so simple. The ceramic coating is almost non stick it seems when it comes to ash.

A bit of extra insulation would not go amiss though. I really like the fire bowl design. It has a much bigger capacity for ash than some other units I have seen. A benefit i didn't even realise was there. 

Phil.

• Like 2

You are correct, Speaking to Ty at the BrewnQ he said the nut was new to the 2018/19 model and was there to remove the daisy wheel to allow for a temp controller. They are bringing a new adaptor very shortly that will plug the vent holes not being used once you have removed the daisy wheel vent and attached the temp controller. Save using the dog bowl/cake tin adaptor I use at the moment.

I have an older proQ and I would have to drill a rivet out to remove the wheel.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone!

The new models do have one vent which is secured to the base using a bolt and nut. This is for our new "controller vent" which accommodates the Smartfire, BBQ Guru and the older FlameBoss controllers. We have a few of these in stock, but will have some more arriving soon. The fitment of this controller vent does not affect the other 2 vents (riveted) they simply need to be in the closed position when using a controller.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2019 at 9:35 AM, Icefever said:

When I was setting up the frontier on Sunday I put a layer of foil in the bottom to catch most of the ash, makes it easier to clean. Now one of the bottom daisy wheel vents has been a little loose and I noticed that where two of the vents are pop rivets one is a bolt & nut. I tightened it and this got me thinking ...why...then I thought maybe it's for the Smartfire??  m1201.gif

Ice.

Ahhhhh! I wondered exactly that when setting my Frontier up! 😄

• Like 1