East Midlands Meat suppliers

Phlashster

Hi All,

So where does everyone get their meat from?

I am learning that most butchers don't really understand or usually stock the cuts we are most interested in. 

My local farm shop is starting to understand what I want, to the point they are now willing to butcher to my request direct from the carcass. So that helps as long as i order a few days in advance.

I haven't yet tried cooking an almighty brisket, but they have confirmed that they can do me a full packer if I want one. I get the impression that they have never sold Brisket in that way before! I will continue trying to build this relationship.

Are there any other localish (Nottingham) suppliers i should be trying? 

Thanks, Phil

Warwick branch does, Dave the master butcher I spoke to him last Thur and asked about Butt and he said he could get me one when I want one. They also do Tri-tip,  the meaty ribs in the yellow box of 10kg are what most of us use.  We have our pork loin from there,  in fact, most of our meat does....come to think about it..m0110.gif

Ice.

• Like 1

Ah, might be worth a trip over then. I can see a few folk talking about these now. 

The ribs, are they frozen and wrapped in individual racks?  I have actually never cooking tried Pork ribs yet! 😒 

Does anyone have a rough size? I would need to be confident of freezer space before i bought a 10KG box.

Thanks Ice, Phil.

My nephew recommends his local farmshop to me in Nuneaton Tomlinson Farm Shop haven't been over there yet, hoping to in the next few weeks. But assures me there Dexter beef is fabulous.

If you fancy it and worth the travel?, may be worth giving them a ring to see if they have the meat you want? Prices seem very comparable with a high street butchers  and may have other cuts available to what they show online, if you are looking for something specific.

Also was in Costco in Brum today and very impressed with the Brisket and Pork Loin, shoulders and loin ribs they had available. Some very good cuts and sizes. Just not what I was looking for today though. 😞

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

@Phlashster, Ice has put you on the right track. Bookers is generally good for meats.

Meaty Ribs in the yellow boxes are good, usually get five Ribs per box, they are a good two foot long.

Have a look at the frozen Pork Collars, I use these for things like Pulled Pork etc.

Talked to the butcher in May local Bookers (Mansfield) and he seemed confident he could get most cuts if you give him enough warning.

When I was in there, he was butchering a whole Lamb, so I had both Rib Sections which included the Breast.

• Like 2

Bookers have 5 rib beef on offer at £6.99 Kg at the moment. Bit big for just 2 of us in our household @ 8kg. But something I would love to cook lo&slo one day on my smoker. Some great Blogs and video's of people that have done though.

15 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Talked to the butcher in May local Bookers (Mansfield) and he seemed confident he could get most cuts if you give him enough warning.

I did the same with Dave at Warwick as well, said he'll try his best for whatever I ask for.  He also said he's been invited to join the Team GB at a butchering contest, they came in at 4th last year hoping for a better place this time.

Ice. 

Edited by Icefever

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Bookers have 5 rib beef on offer at £6.99 Kg at the moment. Bit big for just 2 of us in our household @ 8kg

Is that chilled?? the reason I ask is we often buy large joints and cut them down to a size that suits us. We're off over there this week I'm up for a Tri-tip. hoping that the Proq will be here then I can do a burn, then cook on it for the bank holls.

Ice.

24 minutes ago, Icefever said:

Is that chilled?? the reason I ask is we often buy large joints and cut them down to a size that suits us. We're off over there this week I'm up for a Tri-tip. hoping that the Proq will be here then I can do a burn, then cook on it for the bank holls.

Ice.

Appears to be. You can see it in the latest magazine prices valid to 4th June.Hopefully this  link will work to show you the advert. Whether it is available in all stores nationally, I don't know. But maybe give the butcher a ring first to save a wasted journey?