Hi everyone

sub333

Hi everyone,

I'm Stu from Berkhamsted.

I bought my first-ever smoker this weekend – a ProQ Frontier Elite –and have been getting stuck in!

Seasoned it on Saturday, then tried slow-cook pork shoulder yesterday. Didn't start with enough fuel, as struggled to get beyond 225˚, even with all vents open – a lesson learned!

Bought a cold smoke generator, too, as I fancy doing some smoked salmon and a few other bits.

I've watched plenty of stuff online, from the likes of Baby Back Maniac and Aaron Franklin, and the amazingribs website – I clearly have a lot to learn, but I can't wait to get stuck in!

Thanks,

Stu.

Hi Stu and welcome to the forum. I have a ProQ frontier as well. What temp were you trying to reach to cook your Pork Shoulder. Maintaining 225F is what I usually aim for when cooking Lo&Slo?

Cold Smoke Generator works well with the ProQ. Just microwave the dust in a bowl for 30 seconds before adding it to the generator, removes any moisture that might be in the dust

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Hi Stu and welcome to the forum. I have a ProQ frontier as well. What temp were you trying to reach to cook your Pork Shoulder. Maintaining 225F is what I usually aim for when cooking Lo&Slo?

Cold Smoke Generator works well with the ProQ. Just microwave the dust in a bowl for 30 seconds before adding it to the generator, removes any moisture that might be in the dust

Hello! I thought I should get it at 275˚, at least for a few hours, but it wouldn't go above 225˚, and hovered between 200-225 after 4hrs or so. Was on for 7hrs in total, but I guess it needed another 3-4 easily. But I put nowhere near enough briquettes in to start with, which would explain things. And if the water pan was too full, would that affect it? I used cold water, too, rather than hot (probably another rookie error).

Thanks for tip re dust!

Water will defitely keep temp down (which may be desirable of course) as when it eventually evaporates the temp rises. Number of briquettes too.  In WSM i use minion method so lots of briquettes. Also consider sand in bowl. There are threads on this in this forum.