Smithfield market

Diggerg

As above really. Has anyone been and bought direct from suppliers and how did cost and quality compare with your usual meat supplies

Once my gravity is up and running a Portuguese friend of mine said we should go as he used to go for his restaurant and wants to revisit.

• Like 1

Oh yes..  Cheaper and good quality but you need to buy in bulk, and

get there early, like 3am early..you need to avoid the congestion charge ( god knows about this new low emissions stuff?) 

take Cash  ( lots of it!) some will take cards, but cash is king.

Take something with wheels to move your purchase from the market to the car ( a big Eskie is ideal) half  a cow/pig is heavy.

If you don't have a big old bag or box get some old sheets for the car, unless you want a blood stained boot.

• Thanks 1

A large insulated coolbox is great in the car as it keeps the meat cool and also contains any leaking juices. I use one when I buy my fish from Billingsgate.

Again, agree, cash is King. Most commercial buyers buy on account at these markets, however the private buyer is usually expected to pay cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

In the news today that the market is moving..... its possible new site in Barking. ???

Ice.

It’s meant to be at an area called Fairlop Waters. I’m guessing they are looking at this because of the vehicle pollution in London, and trying to counter that (even though they intend to build on green area). 

I would be shocked if they do Smithfield is such a famous part of that area of London, it would be a shame if they remove something of such historical significance just so they can throw up a couple more high rise offices. 

1 hour ago, Simon said:

It’s meant to be at an area called Fairlop Waters. I’m guessing they are looking at this because of the vehicle pollution in London, and trying to counter that (even though they intend to build on green area). 

I would be shocked if they do Smithfield is such a famous part of that area of London, it would be a shame if they remove something of such historical significance just so they can throw up a couple more high rise offices. 

Didn't stop them moving Billingsgate. I remember going to the old one. Haven't been to the new one in Poplar.