Silverside slow smoke cherry wood

Justin

Marinated beef silverside in honey and soy sauce overnight and now minion snake method in kettle with two chinks of cherry wood. Using MEATER. Currently at 111 degs C. Once it hits 120 I will close vents at bottom alot just a little open. .  Sun is shining bright.

Edited by Justin
  • Like 3

Nice smoky flavour with a bit of sweetness but rather tough. Not so you would worry but not tender. Took 2.5 hours 1.5kg at 120 degs c.

Tomorrow. Lamb shish kebabs and chicken honey mustard kebabs. Already in the fridge marinating.

20190420_174015.thumb.jpg.df6a8d9bdd58e3a0762a5355bbd6b287.jpg

Edited by Justin
  • Like 4

On 4/21/2019 at 11:53 PM, HeyBertHeyErnie said:

I'm doing mine tomorrow, proper got last minute nerves, panicking I've brined it too long, not got enough charcoal, won't be ready in time, you name it, I'm worried about it. Yours looks great, good job.

I’m wondering if there isn’t enough fat/collagen etc on a silverside joint ? 

It is very lean cut. the fat the surface of mine  was very thin and went like leather  when i smoked it. So i removed it after it came out of kettle and was rested ( i rested it for about 2 hours or so in cool box and it was still warm after that time ( a lot of juice left the meat while it rested). 

I served it with home made tatziki. 

I think it would make a very good pastrami, if you like pastrami, I do not

On 4/20/2019 at 8:50 PM, Justin said:

Nice smoky flavour with a bit of sweetness but rather tough. Not so you would worry but not tender. Took 2.5 hours 1.5kg at 120 degs c.

I have found that with silverside joints. Some can be melt-in-the-mouth and others quite tough. I don't cook them low-and-slow though I usually set the smoker at ~150 C and roast until it reaches an IT of 58-60 C

yes, there can be variation, worth asking your friendly butcher. Nice advice not he smoker note at 150ish temp, might try that next time mate, i cooked it to 67  but i agree on reflection I will go more like 58 60 next time