Heater failure

Ruedeleglise

After a winter of successful salmon smoking my heater fails to work. As yet I don’t know wether it is the bulb or the thermostat which is at fault. I loaded up the unit early this morning and then went out. Just come back to find the temperature hasn’t risen above ambient which today is about 10 centigrade. What effect can I expect on the smoked salmon please. To compensate could I smoke for longer?

Edited by Ruedeleglise
Added detail

I am sure Wade will clarify, but I often smoke my salmon in the winter in cool ambient temperatures for 12-24 hours, it is more like a gravalax smoked salmon. Tastes great imho and the cure should have killed any bacteria.

Done it this way many times and still here to post, so all must be good 😀

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

The important thing with the smoked salmon is to keep the air flowing through the smoke chamber. This is usually achieved by heating it or by using a fan. If the air flow is allowed to stop then, especially as the temperature falls, you will start to get condensation forming on the fish surface with can lead to a musty taste. Providing you keep the smoke generator going and the temperature does not fall too low then you should be fine. Obviously at the higher temperatures the water is removed more effectively so, yes, at lower temperatures you will have to smoke longer to get the required moisture reduction. If the temperature falls much below 10 C as the evening progresses then I would wrap the salmon in clingfilm and put it in the fridge until the morning and continue to smoke then when it is warmer.

Went to another shop as I don’t actually remember where I bought the first! Found exactly the same bulb, 150 watts, cost.....wait for it...£35.!!! Don’t remember the cost of the last one as I had bought a lot of bits and pieces at the same time. I asked the assistant how long it should last and she said 6 months! BUT bear in mind this is in 24 hour use as a reptile environment warmer. So being used for a smoker even once a week for me, at the most, for say 12 hours max a smoking, it should last way longer. You do the maths, I am too lazy! But you bet I will keep the new receipt safe and sound in the original box!