Bone in pork belly.

Dackers

Morning all!  First post on here...  

Yesterday I got myself a bone in pork belly from Booker, weighing in at 5.6kg.  I was thinking about removing the rib section and smoking those then halving the remaining belly, smoking (or roasting) half and then having a stab at making bacon with the rest (or maybe burnt ends that we're not allowed to call burnt ends?).  Any tips on the butchery element or pointers to Youtube vids?  The only reason I was going to split it up is because I don't think it'll fit on my BBQ.  Obviously I didn't pre-plan this but at £21 I couldn't resist it!   Any other hints/tips/ideas gratefully received.  Cheers!

18 minutes ago, Dackers said:

Morning all!  First post on here...  

Yesterday I got myself a bone in pork belly from Booker, weighing in at 5.6kg.  I was thinking about removing the rib section and smoking those then halving the remaining belly, smoking (or roasting) half and then having a stab at making bacon with the rest (or maybe burnt ends that we're not allowed to call burnt ends?).  Any tips on the butchery element or pointers to Youtube vids?  The only reason I was going to split it up is because I don't think it'll fit on my BBQ.  Obviously I didn't pre-plan this but at £21 I couldn't resist it!   Any other hints/tips/ideas gratefully received.  Cheers!

Welcome tot he forum. Can't help with the butchery part. But if looking for a Pork belly Burnt Ends Recipe I can recommend it. Made it plenty of times and the bite size pieces melt in the mouth, quite a sweet finished flavour to them though.

Edited by sotv

It is easy to remove the Ribs. Lay skin side down on a flat surface, sharp knife if right handed start at the right hand side. Insert knife under the bone at the furthest part from you, then simply use the underside of the bone as a guide and run the knife along the bone in a smooth action. Keep repeating lifting the bone clear of the meat as you go.

• Like 1

+ 1 with Smokin...we did this around chrimbo time, the same side of pork from Booker,  I took the ribs out but I was a bit keen on not loosing too much meat....so the ribs were shall we say scarce of meat, we finished up with a load of bones and not much else..m01100.gif

Ice.

Edited by Icefever