Green mold

Justin

Yes. Please. I am pretty sure thd pocket dies not go all the the whole length of the jount but it might just wondering if i  wash it off or is a bad'un.

Worse case I can cut out that part and slice the rest but the sl7ces will look a bit hacked. It actually tastes great. A proper soft Italian style.

Just had a futher look and it expands as it goes through.  Oh well. All part of the journey. I think I prefer the paprika and spicey ones. I will use the deals bag next time like I did on the first one. I will take the chilli one I have on the go tomorrow. It is ready for a wash and rolling. This one was just wrapped in muslin

20 hours ago, Justin said:

Just taken down pork 8 have cured and hung for months as it is ready and discovered a air pocket with green mood. Anything to worry about?

It tastes lovely otherwise

The growth of green/yellow mould is common on air dried meat when air comes into contact with the meat surface. It is OK to eat however it can impart a slightly bitter flavour to the meat. I suggest that you swab it with 50% vinegar to prevent it from growing further and preferentially use the meat from away from the gap. If you like the flavour then that is an added bonus.

The avoidance of air gaps is one of the reasons that whole muscle blocks are recommended when air drying, however for some products (especially rolled slabs) this is not an option. What you may want to try next time you try a similar joint is to leave the bone in as this will avoid the cavity. If you do this then the curing technique would need to be adjusted...

Chill the meat to 4 C and then dissolve half of the curing salts in water that is 5% of the weight of the meat. Inject all of the the cure so that it is distributed evenly around the bone area - retaining any brine that leaks out. Rub the other half of the curing salts over the surface of the meat, place in your vac pack bag and then add in any remaining brine. Vac pack and cure as normal before air drying. Injecting the cure around the bone will avoid what is known as "bone sour".

By injecting only half of the curing salts you are only adding an additional 5% of water - which minimises the amount of additional water that needs to be lost again through the air drying stage. This method is also theatrically great when you come to slice the "Parma" ham off the bone in front of guests. 

• Like 2

Yes. Please. I am pretty sure thd pocket dies not go all the the whole length of the jount but it might just wondering if i  wash it off or is a bad'un.

Ok going to hack and wash. Get what I can off it thanks Wade. Good advice 

• Like 1