Turducken

sotv

Smoking this tomorrow, some prep done this evening, photos included

Made the stuffing consisting of fried onions, mushroom, Cumberland sausage meat mixed with breadcrumbs once cooled, which is then layered between each piece of Turkey, Chicken and Duck breast

IMG_20190319_174152094.thumb.jpg.1406611d7c20019bce26ca7df129c4e0.jpg

Rolled up the meat and stuffing into a large sausage shape with clingfilm and will leave in the fridge overnight

IMG_20190319_175541584.thumb.jpg.d1961b419c5214c9a14cc138e83f55d5.jpg

IMG_20190319_180236169.thumb.jpg.523a6dbcc8eceacfd665846c36c9ee82.jpg

Will do a 9 x 9 bacon weave in the morning and cook for approx 6 hours at 225F . Will add further photos tomorrow.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 4

Turned out really nice and tasty, the different meats were cooked and still juicy at an internal temp of 165F the bacon tasted smoky and melted in the mouth (would use rindless next time as the rind on a few slices didn't soften up completely, like it normally does) and the stuffing worked really well.

Took a little over 6 hours cooked at 225F to reach an internal temp in the middle of 165F would estimate you would get at least 10-12 slices from this one piece costed it up at approx £10 for a piece like this and would comfortably feed 4 people.

Will definitely do this again and try a few different filling to go with the meat and stuffing. I know things like chorizo slices cook well in these type of fatties and imparts some nice oils and flavours when cooked slowly into the meats and would add a bit of spice and colour to the finished product, maybe even cranberries? and pit beans on the side

I would imagine cooking this at a higher temperature, would cook it in half the time, just as well, but lo&slo lets the bacon oils soak through to the meat at the lower temperature and keeps it soft, I find?

Here are some photos

Wrapped in the bacon weave before putting in the smoker

IMG_20190320_071344102.thumb.jpg.bc800df671260793505c5e07f336b41b.jpg

Apologies cut in half before realising I should take a photo

IMG_20190320_180109161.thumb.jpg.e781790a169546cf3ca4a51b021e6366.jpg

IMG_20190320_180154651.thumb.jpg.31c02ee97443c76be25184382fb59925.jpg

IMG_20190320_180226374.thumb.jpg.cdb0480260b6e0b61cf7082aed69a16a.jpg

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

Did you flatten the breasts ? 

Just the turkey breast, found it quite difficult to source a turkey breast, but Asda do them, but they're only slightly bigger than a big chicken breast and just one size and price no variation (also got the duck breast steaks (as skin already removed and you just get the meat) from there,. So butterflied it and stuck it in a small food bag with corners snipped off and flattened it. As the turkey breast is on the outside and I needed the overlap for the 2 other breasts and stuffing to roll it over. Left the other two breasts untouched. Using the clingfilm and leaving it in the fridge overnight, helped it to keep its shape whilst rolling with the bacon weave as well.

May try the more readily available Turkey steaks you can get next time. Put 2 of them in a bag and flatten them and see if they hold together even though seperate pieces

Sliced up the rest for lunch with pickled onions and crusty bread, still held its flavour 24 hours later and tasted good cold as well. The neighbours were raving about it this morning from the piece I gave them, always nice to get a compliment on what you have cooked. 

Edited by sotv

6 hours ago, Justin said:

And some chillies to spice it up?  IN fact a tandoori version for variations.  The minds boggles at the variations

As much as I enjoy rubs and sauces, I have to monitor them now. So will be looking for more food types like these in the future as except for the bacon, it was all fresh ingredients and no extra sugar would have been used and all sorts of things could be added to liven it up, if you like spicy. Although the sausage meat, I would keep as I think the fat from it stops it drying up in the middle, during cooking. .

A porchetta on the rotisserie is on my to do list, but they're a family type cook as it is a big piece of meat.

8 minutes ago, Justin said:

I have made Porchetta before BBQ, I loved it but swimbo doe snot like Porchetta flavours

That's a shame, but have been told to buy some Wild Fennel Pollen to use in the filling (very expensive, found it for £15 for 50g) but meant to make a massive difference to the finished flavour, compared to normal fennel you can get in most places.

My local butcher reckon about £30 for a whole 5 kg belly and loin attached so it all tots up.But they look so good on the videos I have watched

Edited by sotv

This a porchetta style recipe made from pork shoulder

Serves 6 to 8

Heat indirect medium heat 180 to 220 degs c

Grills in 2 to 2.5 hours

Filling  125ml olive oil

3 sprigs of rosemary

16 large sage leaves

1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds

1/2 teaspoon crushed red chillies

Combine the above in a food processor to a smooth puree,

Boneless pork Shoulder about 2.5 kg total wieght, butterflied

the pork shoulder so that you rim off the thin lose bits of the shoulder and trim the thick sections from it so it is an even thickness when laid out open. Ideally you wil lend up with 300g to 300 g of trimmed meat form a boneless pork should weighing about 2.5kgs then put the trimmings in the food processor with the puree you have made and pulse 20 to 25 times.

Place the joint kin side down and fill with  the filling leaving a border clear around the edge of the pork.  Push the filing into the grooves in the meat, 

Roll up  meat form one short end to another creating an even and compact cylinder  and tie with string both length ways  and crossways

Run the outside with 1 tablespoon of oil and rub in 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Let it stand for 30 mins at room temperature before grilling

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Had a bit of luck today, called in a butchers I passed in a village near to me and he had the perfect bacon for these and fatties, saved a trip to the supermarket, 10 inch long streaky bacon (with a bit of stretch in it. 2 inches wide did a great 7x7 weave, perfect for a fatty and for once able to finally tuck the ends in. No more supermarket bacon 6 x 6 and fill in the gaps it doesn't cover anymore :yahoo:

DRAU6922.thumb.JPG.1a66dcd1674bd4cb6f417218aa5c8099.JPG

Had Jacobs Ladders and Ocho Bucco for £7.50 kg as well , happy find.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 3