What Smoker Next?

Jason1989

Hi all! I'm currently working in a smokehouse that's open every day and we use one of the Cookshack FECs, but I'm hoping to start my own thing on the side, charcoal based and non electric.  But it needs to be big, I'm looking all over the place and everything seems to be in the US, 250 and 500 Gallon smokers. Nothing in the UK unless I'm looking in the wrong places, looking to spend around £2k-£3k.  

Maybe even something used.  

Thanks guys 

Jason

That’s a difficult one. Would have to be a big reverse flow trailer, or something like that. BBQ Mates have them, and they are very good. I was at the premises just before Christmas, looking at their gear but it’s not cheap!

Trying to find a link to someone who is selling one, will message them and get the details.

The only other way, is to buy plans for BBQ trailer build, and if you have a local fabrication company ask them to quote to build it, possibly cheaper option?

• 3 weeks later...

I am now looking for my next addition. I want a system that gives me the option of starting the smoke and then being able to carry on with other things knowing that the equipment is operating at pre set temp with minimal fluctuation. Although I do love sitting up all night / day monitoring the cook I also require the option of being able to switch on and be able to do other things such a sleep! Does any one have any suggestions? Do I go for a pellet smoker? Do I go for a Bradley smoker? Will a BBQ Guru or equivalent with my Summit give me the control I require? Is there anywhere I can see some of the other options in operation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will need kit large enough to do a whole brisket and about 4-6 racks of baby back or St Louis at the same time.

If you want load and forget then a decent pellet smoker is the best choice. Also doubles as an oven.

It's a gargantuan both in terms of cost and weight, but I can highly recommend the Yoder Pellet smoker range. The YS640 will easily hold 6-8 racks of ribs.

38 minutes ago, David said:

Do I go for a pellet smoker? Do I go for a Bradley smoker? Will a BBQ Guru or equivalent with my Summit give me the control I require? Is there anywhere I can see some of the other options in operation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will need kit large enough to do a whole brisket and about 4-6 racks of baby back or St Louis at the same time.

This is down to personal choice, but here are some views, of course others may have different views, but that’s why we are on a Forum to discuss.

Pellet Smoker, very good for “virtual” set and for get. Some times the pellet hoppers are not big enough to last for a 16 hour cook. I have seen people add “extension” to them. Some have hot spots, which after trial and error you will know where they are. Pellets can be expensive. And they do not give much smoke as they burn very efficiently some produce less smoke, this can be over come by using a smoke generator like the AMNPS.

Bradley Smoker, main disadvantage is the cost of the “wood pucks”. These can be very expensive. Not sure if they now have a digital control that can keep a more steady control.

If you are happy with the summit, I would go for something like the BBQ Guru, here’s a Video on how they fit to the Summit, takes less than 5 minutes!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 11:37 AM, Smokin Monkey said:

This is down to personal choice, but here are some views, of course others may have different views, but that’s why we are on a Forum to discuss.

Pellet Smoker, very good for “virtual” set and for get. Some times the pellet hoppers are not big enough to last for a 16 hour cook. I have seen people add “extension” to them. Some have hot spots, which after trial and error you will know where they are. Pellets can be expensive. And they do not give much smoke as they burn very efficiently some produce less smoke, this can be over come by using a smoke generator like the AMNPS.

Bradley Smoker, main disadvantage is the cost of the “wood pucks”. These can be very expensive. Not sure if they now have a digital control that can keep a more steady control.

If you are happy with the summit, I would go for something like the BBQ Guru, here’s a Video on how they fit to the Summit, takes less than 5 minutes!

Thank you all for the great advise. I think I am going to go with the BBQ Guru and purchase a couple of rib racks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2019 at 5:43 PM, David said:

Thank you all for the great advise. I think I am going to go with the BBQ Guru and purchase a couple of rib racks.

Well, finally got round to ordering the BBQ Guru CyberQ, should be here Tuesday. As we normally eat BBQ at lunch time I maybe able to get some sleep in the future with overnight smokes. 

• Like 1