Cost of postage from USA

Diggerg

Does anyone know why it costs soooo much to get stuff sent from the states?

A few years ago I used to get stuff for my marine aquarium sent over and it was comparable to UK postage rates, which made it cheaper due to currency rates. 

Now you need a small mortgage to get items sent. 

I will need some gasket and bits but the postage is more than the parts. 

22 hours ago, Distunging said:

Hi Diggerg, you could try a service like mymallbox.com? Gives you a "US" address and then they consolidate the shipment and send it to you.

That's handy to know, will have a look later.  It's crazy the postage from that side the pond.  I've seen stuff I may go for,  the price looks good when you look at the P&P it's more than the item your buying.  t1929.gif   

Ice.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with price from items shipped from the USA is that the UK Customs and Excise are now much stricter in applying the import duty on small items than they used to be. If the item is over £135 in value including postage (and the weaker pound recently has meant that US items are more expensive) then you will have to pay import duty - which is usually 2.5%. If the value of the item is greater than £18 then you will also have to pay VAT on top of the import duty - which is usually 20%. On top of this the company importing the goods into the UK can add a handling charge for dealing with the customs payments. With Royal Mail this charge is £8.

So you see, all these put the costs right up. After Brexit we may also face similar levels of duty and charges when buying things from Europe too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Justin said:

Buy British

So, let me get this straight... when we need something that is not actually made by anyone in the UK, all we have to do is let you know and you will arrange to have it manufactured here for us??