A Sweetcure for Bacon?

sotv

Just had a really tasty Sweetcure Gammon Steak, Is their a ratio for sugar to salt using the Diggingdog calculator to recreate this sort of finished flavour in bacon? the ingredients on the packet shows nothing unusual beyond Brown Sugar and Salt unless anyone knows different from recipes they have tried before?

i have tried Maple Syrup in the past with bacon and although tasty was too sweet. This flavour was just slightly sweet with no salty aftertaste and bang on for my tastes

Edited by sotv

As a rule of thumb for standard bacon use sugar at a rate of 50% of the weight of the salt. For sweetcure bacon increase this ratio up to equal weights of sugar and bacon salt - try 75% first. White sugar will give you a non-specific sweetness but if you want good flavoured sweetness you will need a less refined sugar - such as Muscovado sugar - generally the darker the sugar the more flavour you will get.

When using Maple Syrup to flavour the bacon you only need to use a little of it as part of the sugar content or it will be too sweet.

Edited by Wade
Updated to correct typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade said:

For sweetcure bacon increase this ratio up to equal weights of sugar and bacon - try 75% first. 

Just in case I make a horrible mistake, just to confirm that it is 75% of sugar based on the bacons weight? So 750g on a 1kg piece of bacon? or 330g in Neils case.

Seems a lot of sugar for a small piece of meat. But it is me probably reading it wrong.

Edited by sotv

No - sorry I made a typo. It is 75% the weight of the salt in the cure. So for 1 Kg of pork with 2.5% salt you would use...

2.4 g Cure#1
22.6 g Salt

= 25 g total salt

For standard bacon use 13 g white sugar - rounded up to the nearest gram.
For sweetcure use either 19 g of soft brown sugar of choice (for 75%) or 26 g (for 100%)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wade said:

No - sorry I made a typo. It is 75% the weight of the salt in the cure. So for 1 Kg of pork with 2.5% salt you would use...

2.4 g Cure#1
22.6 g Salt

= 25 g total salt

For standard bacon use 13 g white sugar - rounded up to the nearest gram.
For sweetcure use either 19 g of soft brown sugar of choice (for 75%) or 26 g (for 100%)

Thanks made a note that 2% Sugar in diggindogfarm calculator gets me very close to the 75% ratio you mention and 2.5% for 100% for my future reference.

Just the way I read your reply, I think, and 750g of sugar seemed a ridiculous amount, glad I double checked. It would have ended up being like a sugar case round the bacon a  bit like a salted cod.:)

Edited by sotv
  • Haha 1