Sous vide plus smoke

Pork butt blogger

Steve @Smokin Monkey has been running a hog roast company for many years and he sous vides his pork the previous night and then reheats and colours it up over the coals on the day. This is not exactly what you were asking but it is similar. I have cooked sous vide steaks, small joints and chicken and then coloured them up afterwards in a hot pan or oven.

In the smoker the challenge would be to get the smoker hot enough to colour the meat in a relatively short period of time so that the heat does not penetrate too deeply into the already cooked meat. I have not tried this in the smoker but in the oven the joints colour quite quickly at ~200 C with additional top heat ("circotherm intensive" setting on my Neff oven).

If you are looking for additional "smoked" flavour you could cold smoke the meat for 15-20 minutes before placing in the sous vide bag or, depending on what you are cooking, use some liquid smoke in a pre-cook marinade or some smoked paprika in a rub. 

Not sure if this has helped but it may give you some ideas.

• Like 1

We sous vide a fair bit..we did a rolled brisket last weekend..our favourite is to go for pulled pork,  we've never smoked any as yet as we're new to it....but can't see anything wrong with giving it a try.

I like Wade suggestion ...." If you are looking for additional "smoked" flavour you could cold smoke the meat for 15-20 minutes before placing in the sous vide bag"

Ice

• Like 1

It is difficult to achieve that Smoke Flavour and Colouring on Sous Vide Meats.

As @Wade has mentioned I ran a Hog Roast company for many years, but our best product was our “Mini Hog Roast” which was Pork Loin, Sous Vide for 24 Hours @ 62’C. Remove from bags, remove outer fat layer, then crisp out side with a blow torch. Folks said it was the best Pork they had ever tasted. They would ask how it was cooked, and I had to tell them, if I told you I would have to kill you ?

My recommendation to you would be add a couple of tsp of Liquid Smoke to the bag first, then Sous Vide. Sous Vide (translates to “Under Pressure”) will force the smoke Flavour into the meat, even if it’s only the top layer. Then char/crisp with a blow torch.

• Like 1

Ice Fever, thanks for your comments. I  have an Amaze 'N' pellet cold smoker which I have used with salt, nuts and cured salmon. To cold smoke the meat before sous vide sounds a good idea. I have family coming over at the weekend and am smoking a 3kg pork butt. Any tips on smoking this? What would be the optimum time and internal temp to have this melt in the mouth. I am aware that I will probably have to get up early to start this!

Thanks PBB

19 minutes ago, Pork butt blogger said:

I have family coming over at the weekend and am smoking a 3kg pork butt. Any tips on smoking this? What would be the optimum time and internal temp to have this melt in the mouth. I am aware that I will probably have to get up early to start this!

Thanks PBB

Yes I think it will be an early start,  but Pulled Pork is always a good one to cook ahead of time and warm up, especially if you have a Sous Vide machine.

Pulled Pork