Texas hot links.

So, I’m looking for a recipe for some Texas hot links, and so far most of them I’ve found require cure #1 or supaquick. Is the final Nitrite level I’m shooting for with bacon (~156ppm) the same or will I need less cure #1 as they won’t be curing as long? I was hoping to smoke them the day after they’re made. 

Also if anyone has any great tried and tested recipes they don’t mind sharing I would be forever greatful.

22 minutes ago, Thenegativeone said:

So, I’m looking for a recipe for some Texas hot links, and so far most of them I’ve found require cure #1 or supaquick. Is the final Nitrite level I’m shooting for with bacon (~156ppm) the same or will I need less cure #1 as they won’t be curing as long? I was hoping to smoke them the day after they’re made. 

Also if anyone has any great tried and tested recipes they don’t mind sharing I would be forever greatful.

Hi Paul

The 150 Ppm for bacon is the maximum "in-going" nitrite that is permitted in the EU and the USA and is not actually the final (residual) nitrite concentration that will end up in the finished product. When making a sausage filler you are not relying on the nitrite to diffuse into the meat and so can simply add the exact amount you require to the mix. The minimum amount of Nitrite required for protection from spoilage (Botulinum toxin production) actually varies depending on the meat and the pH but you should be looking for between 50 - 100 Ppm (mg/Kg) when you make your sausage. A good level is to go for is 75 Ppm (mg/Kg)

• Like 1

Ok cool, thanks wade, so for 1kg of meat, at 75ppm I’ll need 1.2g of cure #1 given the ratio of salt to nitrite in the cure according to the cure calculator.

That’s well below the LDlo for even pure sodium nitrite in humans so that makes me happy ? 

Edited by Thenegativeone
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

They look great Paul, you have reminded me to post my Hot Link recipe up, just been that busy since the WoodSmoke 18.

Texas Style Hot Links

?? Cheers, that’s the exact recipe I used, although I used bud instead of proper beer, it being American and all ? I’m looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

• Haha 1