What is "The Stall".

Icefever

Since entering this realm of BBQ'ing I'm reading articles & watching videos. Every now & then I  come across "The Stall".  What's it all about?...so I set off in a search along with uncle Gargle and came up with the following. After a 2nd read,  I'm sure I understand it  ?..  is the info correct ??

https://genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/stallbbq.html

Ice.

As water starts to evapourate tetemp stalls. Take it into account your timings and/or wrap in foil. Of course you want a good bark as well. Or crackling maybe. Some remove the fat and wrap the meat so they get crisp crackling I like to leave it on to get juicy crackling

• Like 1

The "stall" is only really noticeable when the temperature of the meat has reached a point where the cooling effect of the water evaporating from it is close to or equal to amount of heat penetrating the meat. This causes a plateau in the internal temperature rise until sufficient moisture has been lost for the cooling effect is reduce.  

If you have foil wrapped your meat before this temperature is reached there will be little/no evaporation and you will not usually see a "stall".

Wow thanks,  guys,  is there a way of working out the time getting near the stall???,  from the weight of your joint & the temp you have set the BBQ/Smoker at??  I suppose it's all down to knowing how much water is in the meat....which would be nigh on impossible.  O.o

Yes that is the way i see it, it is an equation.. I foil ribs for sure, brisket yes but belly pork roll no, I want nice crackling on the meat so it mingles nicely. I appreciate your needs are different though mate.  Few days to go now, roll on Friday. I will be aiming to get there early  as I can get away at lunchtime and it is a couple of hours driving. Can help set up if you need it.