Cheddar and Haloumi

valve90210

My mother is having a birthday bash in a few weeks and is producing a ploughman's meal I said I'd smoke some cheddar for her to add an additional option to the evening, so yesterday while it was nice and cold I smoked a few blocks using some nice oak pellets. I was also going to smoke some feta but my local supermarket didn't have any in stock so instead I opted for a a couple of blocks of Haloumi to give it a try.

Here is is sitting in the fridge drying out after about 4 hours in the smoker.

Cheese.thumb.jpg.5c77ef0317ca99e7163489d95869c98f.jpg

This evening I shall vacuum pack it and date it and it should be lovely in time for the birthday bash in March!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Wade said:

Looks great Scott. A hint to avoid the black grate lines on your cheese - place a wire cake cooling rack on your cooking grate first. This can then be easily washed afterwards.

Thanks Wade that is a very good idea, I have done similar in the past but was in such a rush on Sunday I wasn't really thinking about it.  The hardest part though is convincing my little boy that it will taste horrible at the moment and that's why he can't taste it yet! :D

12 hours ago, Matt said:

I've been smoking using these so that the cheese doesn't come into contact with the grate, just sling them in the dishwasher when finished.  £1 each from poundland!  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toastabags-Quickachips-Tray-Black-36/dp/B001TNEPF8/

Great idea, I shall get myself along to poundland and grab a few.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I finally tried some of the smoked haloumi at the weekend. I simply pan fried it to give it a little gold colour on the outer and let it get a little soft in the middle and it was delicious!

Next time i have chance I shall be getting several blocks and doing a full sokers worth, though obviously a little more tricky with the warmer weather coming. (mailbox mod might be needed at some point...)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

:yeahthat:. You only need to leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours (uncovered) before you pack it. I have left it overnight before and in the morning it has started to look dry and cracked. Once it was vac packed though it was fine after the maturing period.