Advice on mistake

dirge

Hi,

First post.  Attempted to make my first bacon batch.  Got a 3.3kg loin.  Cut it in half and weighed both.  Of course I made the cure for the first half and mixed them up.

So using the http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calculator/dry_cure_bacon/ 

1555g got the cure for 1681g of pork so the ratios are off..

4.03g of prague powder number 1 when 3.73g should have been used.

38.24 salt, 16.81 sugar, 4.03g from 6.25g

Is 0.3g an issue over a 100g difference an issue? will it need thowing away?

Thanks guys, hoping Wade can help confirm if next steps are needed.  If the nitrite volume is 10% higher on the calculator does that mean it would be 165 instead of the max 150 we’re supposed to aim for?  And is the cure to salt and sugar ratio in direct proportion to weight?  I tried to get every gram of cure into the vacuum packs but it sticks to your hands.  Just need to know if there are tolerances within the inaccuracy and if I’m within the boundaries.

also if anyone can link a dry cure pastrami cure recipe? Have a brisket flat from a uk farm here and was going to portion some up.

Hi @dirge Do not throw it away - If I have understood your figures correctly it is perfectly safe. My understanding of what you have done is below - please confirm

Piece 1   Piece 2
Meat weight (Kg)   1.555   1.681
Cure#1 - 6.25% Nitrite (g)   4.03   3.73

Total Nitrite (g)   0.252   0.233
Total Nitrite (mg)   252   233

Ingoing Nitrite (mg/Kg)   162   139

Whilst we strongly recommend that you calculate the ingoing cure to a maximum of 150 mg/Kg (ppm) in line with commercial maximums, we are dealing with biological systems here so the science isn't exact and the included safety margins are large. Also, during the curing process not all of the Nitrite will be absorbed and some will be broken down. 162 and 139 mg/kg are both well within what would be classified as safe to eat. Go ahead and enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes Wade those are the figures used.

Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest.  I can’t wait to see the end results.  I’ve been put off by supermarket bacon recently, just borderline inedible.

have a brisket flat on the bbq slow cooking with a smoke box today :)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dirge said:

Yes Wade those are the figures used.

Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest.  I can’t wait to see the end results.  I’ve been put off by supermarket bacon recently, just borderline inedible.

I did think it was going to be ok Dirge, but I always play safe when giving an answer on something as this and defer to @Wade I run your weights through the calculator and it's easy to see where it went wrong....you'll never buy supermarket bacon again mate...best of luck with the brisket. 👍

Ice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2020 at 10:20 AM, Icefever said:

I did think it was going to be ok Dirge, but I always play safe when giving an answer on something as this and defer to @Wade I run your weights through the calculator and it's easy to see where it went wrong....you'll never buy supermarket bacon again mate...best of luck with the brisket. 👍

Ice.

Plus 1 for never buying supermarket Bacon again

Cheers n Gone Nick