Dutch Oven Care

Simon

In my case I only ever use warm soapy water to wash them out with a cloth afterwards and use a plastic scraper to get rid of any hard bits first. Never needed to use anything else even when frying at high temperatures with butter. You should never use anything metal or an abrasive scourer type things to clean them out with. Along with don't stick them in the dishwasher.

After drying them off I pour a capful of vegetable oil and put it inside the dutch oven and get a paper towel to rub it all round the inside and the edges of the Dutch Oven/Skillet etc before putting them away, helps to stop any rusting and adds a coating to it, to build up the seasoning & non stick over time I believe. Professionals recommend Flaxseed oil as well, but vegetable oil has always worked for me and something I always have to hand.

• Like 1

I agree, that is what I do.

For sealing it use lard, smear with a thin amount all over it then put in oven or bbq at 240c for 30 mins and leave in oven/bbq until it cools down naturally, then repeat another 1or 2 times and you will have a perfect non stick surface. I do this about once a year

• Like 1

A cooling charcoal BBQ is a great place to season cast iron. Stick the pot or pan on, let it get hot and then use a high-smoking point oil (I use ghee) to lightly oil the surfaces. Rub all over with a bit of kitchen roll, you only need the thinnest coating of oil.

Bung it back in the BBQ, close all the vents and leave it until the morning.

• Like 1