Quick flaky pastry?? try this...

Icefever

19 hours ago, Justin said:

Very very interesting mate...I worked in our local bakery when I left school and that's what I was told, so all this time I believed was wrong...as I always say "your never to old to learn".

A quote from the links is..

Is plain flour and all purpose flour the same thing?

Difference between “All purpose Flour” “Plain Flour” and “Self Raising flour” ... The difference is not great it's only that in the Self-Raising Flour the is baking powder is already mixed in it ; and in the AP Flour ( normal maida) you have to mix it yourself. All purpose and Plain flour are one and same!

It's all down to the baking powder???....so if you have plain flour give it a try??,  but be prepared for the finished pastry to be "heavy"

Ice.

This website may or may not be useful to use, I used it for Strong Flour for Bread Making and helped me work with the Protein content of the flour for the UK Equivalents of US Flour in recipes.

This page list the protein content of US All Purpose Flour as 10-11.5% whereas UK Plain Flour is usually <10%

Couple of examples here from Morrisons for different Flours they sell if you look at the Nutrition Values listed for them

Homepride Plain Flour 9.73g per 100g

Morrisons Organic Plain Flour 11.8g per 100g

Not saying buy the Morrisons one, just look online at the different flours or the side of the bag in the shop and if you see the protein value in the 10-11.5 range you will be getting closer to American all purpose flour.