Lump wood big bits vs smaller bits

davew

No one likes tiny pieces that’s for sure, in a bag you get all sorts, so why do I read a lot members please at big chunks etc.

So why, and how do you use the biggest chunks, for me to big needs breaking up, I cant cook with anything thinker than say 1 1 ½ inch thick maybe two max, as I just cover the grill

I have a round Weber with lid

Adam makes sense thou for me, no holes that get blocked as in lid

You can load up the base with the lighters are and it will burn, small of dust, just all add to the burn

Big bits, got it and yeah that would be better, for me big is not much help and I screwdriver the chunks into small prices

Only have a little bbq but does me and food great, maybe I need a drum next

So I'f i have the time & inclination i'll sort the bag. Big bits for the Fornetto & small bits for the Mini chef Kamado & the rest in between for the ProQ. That said, I do believe a mix of large & small is not a bad thing in a burn. Provided you can maintain airflow, smaller bits to fill the gaps & ensure a consistent burn aren't a bad thing in my book.

Cheers n Gone Nick

Big pieces will burn for longer, how hot depends on the air you give them and how much exhaust there is.

If you shut your bbq down properly after a cook any unburnt fuel can be used next time.

Fuel efficient cookers like kamados will show this more but the same applies to all really. 

Edited by tedmus

On 6/28/2020 at 11:03 PM, tedmus said:

Big pieces will burn for longer, how hot depends on the air you give them and how much exhaust there is.

If you shut your bbq down properly after a cook any unburnt fuel can be used next time.

Fuel efficient cookers like kamados will show this more but the same applies to all really. 

Always lid on, close vents after cooking and colander shade all unburnt fuel and re-use, always have done this

Removed the ash etc. End up with a load of really small bits, they are a pain, tiny. So put at the bottom with fule and burns, just keep doing it, its all burns in the end 

On 6/30/2020 at 12:01 PM, Smokin Monkey said:

Always use an axe to brake the bigger bits down to more useable size?

Funny, big flat head screwdriver point in the crack, twist and it breaks ok. Never had chucks like I see pictures of on this forum thou

Edited by davew