Hello from the New Forest....

Handyjayes

Just joined after reading many web searches on the pro's and con's of various makes and models of ceramic egg style bbq's.

I am still unsure whether to go with a budget egg or re-mortgage the house and go with a top brand to not have regrets in the long run..

Some say they wish they went bigger and better and others are happy with small, basic and cheaper...

I just don't want to go small and wish it had been big! Lol.... 

All advice welcomed.. 

Cheers...

JB

Edited by Handyjayes

Lol Icefever, - it was the Aldi one that got me going on this in a serious way, because they give you 'everything' you need to cook in all situations....

they include a cover, heat deflector, grill, ash hook + more etc etc... all that you need to cook in most situations....

By the time I was ready to pull the trigger on that model after reading mostly positive views, within two days of it being in stock, - it had sold out.

From reading many threads all over, once they sell out, then that is it for the year..... So no stock till 2021 now. 

So I am now still in the market, but as it happens, most places have completely sold out of all makes and models apart from the portable small ones, or the very expensive 2k + ones...

I want a bigger one.

I do have a source to a 24" one at under £700 and there is stock (reluctant to give link as no doubt will sell out before I get a look in and does not 

come up on google searching, but is actually in the UK). Only issue is, they do not offer either lifetime or 20 years on the ceramic parts which

most of the expensive ones do... Nor do they offer finance, which would have allowed me to have made that purchase already)...

I would go for this particular one, but there is very little info. on it, and also, the limited USA videos on it (it is made in the USA), show it as a slightly

better model... So I can't find a true reflection on this model although I do think it is probably good....

So want to get going, but see many companies have stock coming back in again in a week or two....

Edited by Handyjayes

Yes I get that... The mini eggs I am unsure whether they can do a whole chicken (height wise) once sat on a weber chicken/liquid stand for example and due to sad circumstances in life, is about healthier eating for myself solely.

A few times a year I have a biggish crowd over and I know I won't be satisfied serving up food from my steel drum smoker, which is inefficient, unreliable and not very controllable. 

Got a question for you... 

If I am cooking for myself one whole chicken in a small 13" egg or a large 24" egg - both with good seals etc, - how much more lumpwood is used 'like for like' for the one chicken in both scenarios?

23 minutes ago, Handyjayes said:

Yes I get that... The mini eggs I am unsure whether they can do a whole chicken (height wise) once sat on a weber chicken/liquid stand for example and due to sad circumstances in life, is about healthier eating for myself solely.

A few times a year I have a biggish crowd over and I know I won't be satisfied serving up food from my steel drum smoker, which is inefficient, unreliable and not very controllable. 

Got a question for you... 

If I am cooking for myself one whole chicken in a small 13" egg or a large 24" egg - both with good seals etc, - how much more lumpwood is used 'like for like' for the one chicken in both scenarios?

the bigger kamado will use more lump since it has a bigger mass to heat up...but that will  be alot less than your steel drum smoker (my old smoker would go through one 'lot' of coal in 2 hours...my 18" kamado can get 12+ hours out of the same amount, just to give you an idea of efficiency).

I was in the same situation as you just over a year ago before i bought one.

I might get a mini kamado in the future so I can have 2 completely different temps at once....but so far the 18" has been sufficient even though I had the same worries as you.

18" and 24" seem to be the best sizes for other cooking options (cooking grids, rotisseries etc) since different brands can be interchangeable.

Anymore questions then 'fire' away👍😉

9 minutes ago, AdamG said:

the bigger kamado will use more lump since it has a bigger mass to heat up...but that will  be alot less than your steel drum smoker (my old smoker would go through one 'lot' of coal in 2 hours...my 18" kamado can get 12+ hours out of the same amount, just to give you an idea of efficiency).

I was in the same situation as you just over a year ago before i bought one.

I might get a mini kamado in the future so I can have 2 completely different temps at once....but so far the 18" has been sufficient even though I had the same worries as you.

18" and 24" seem to be the best sizes for other cooking options (cooking grids, rotisseries etc) since different brands can be interchangeable.

Anymore questions then 'fire' away👍😉

Thanks for your reply Adam....

The 24"' egg I am looking at weighs in at around 100kg. It is on its own coastered metal nest like many are. I would need to wheel this egg into a shed when not in use, which is raised 10 inches off the ground, but has a ramp with a heavy 1" lip at the bottom so there will be some bumping and knocking etc.... Do these eggs happily get moved around with out cracking or is there a reason that they have their own permanent static homes? How delicate are they? Would need to to roller this around over some 'rocky'/ pebbled ground and I am unsure whether the ceramic can handle that sort of movement on a regular basis?

my original plan was to store in the shed...bit the weight put me off ever attempting it since the shed is higher so it lives outside all year round. I have a cover that goes over it when I dont plan on using it for awhile but the ceramic is very resistant to weather (i have been caught a few times with heavy rain after forgeting to cover it).

Its in a nest and I have to move it over uneven patio slabs which is quite often since I like to hide it in the corner behind the garden chairs. It rolls quite well but I always drag it rather than push (fear of moving too fast and hitting a small stone and....humpty dumpty knows the rest lol)

I would have a backup plan if you cant get it in the shed comfortably though👍

OK bud ty, - main question is...- is- are they pretty robust, or need to be treated with kid gloves...? ;) ty

I've just fired the gun and purchased my first egg. It had to be a ceramic egg for slow cook and proper smoking.

I am full of anxiety whether its going to cost me a fortune to run on days when I am cooking for myself, but it's done!

This is what I have just purchased in blue:

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Barbecues-and-Firepits/Charcoal-Wood-Barbecues/Louisiana-Grills-24-60-cm-Ceramic-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue-in-3-Colours-Cover/p/24kamadogrill

• Like 1

Looks good!

once you have finished cooking just completely shut the bottom and top vent. This will snuff the fire out and stop your charcoal from burning....allowing you to use it another day👍 

I think your going to be amazed at the fuel efficiency if you aint never used one before😁👍 

I cook alot for just 2 of us

Edited by AdamG

Cheers Adam. Yes I had already read that if your egg is built well, then you can close off the vents, top and bottom and it will/(should) snuff the oxygen to kill the embers for re-use next time round. I will be no doubt adding a tube of wood burner mastic or equivalent to run around the bottom sliding vent to make sure all gaps are 100% sealed, but have also read in various places, that the cast iron top vent needs an extra bit of help with either another layer of fire rope or similar, in order to make sure it is sealed well to the top of the egg.... You then have the best possible chance of getting accurate temperature control making minimal changes on the sliders both top and bottom to reach your required heat! :)

• Like 1

You could be correct, but I am also very interested in 'slow and low', - I think they call it, where you can slow cook a big piece at a low temperature over maybe 18-24 hours...

I am not sure this can be achieved on anything other than a ceramic bbq with god seals?

I have read this can be done with just one initial load of charcoal as the ceramic and sealed unit makes for a really good slow economic bake.