ProQ water bath question

MattFanners

Hi,

I wrap the water bath for my ProQ Frontier as recommended by some and it works well to protect and for cleaning after cooking. I don't wrap the entire bowl, just the top part. I have noticed the bottom of the bowl is getting scorched and damaged from the heat, should this be covered in foil too or left as bare metal?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

It'll be fine, it's just carbon build up with will flake off if you give it a brush when cold. Instead of wrapping the top of the water bath some like to line it instead. I tend to wrap the top when using sand but line it when using water. particularly if i have flavours the water with herbs / beer to create an infusion. Infusions are a hotly debated topic when they add anything to the cook or not!

Cheers n Gone Nick

Edited by Skagg2000
  • Like 4

I line mine when using water as well, usually takes two strips of foil and I put something ceramic along the bottom of it, where the two pieces meet, to weigh it down a bit, but that isn't necessary.

I tried to keep mine clean, because you can use the bowl sat on one of the grill plates to cook things like a whole lamb shoulder if you wanted to do a one pot cook in it with things like veg and potatoes added with liquid and wanted to cook them at a higher heat than if using the bowl with water in, like normal. Once again I would line the bowl with foil and over the top of the meat for a cook like this as well.

• Like 2

I'm one of the weird ones. I always wrap the bowl entirely in foil. I do the bottom first so I can sometimes reuse the foil. I also wrap the inside of the bowl with foil which is a pain with the 57cm WSM but I have always done it and I like to keep my cooks constant. I may move away from it at some point but at the moment it's more for aesthetics. 

Yeah it is a bit OTT me wrapping the bowl. I guess I just want to keep it looking new. I should add that I do wrap as well as I often do use the liquid to make a sauce. I know I could just throw in a foil tray etc but again it's just the method I've used so far. I may stop wrapping at some point.  

4 hours ago, U can do that again said:

Haven’t wrapped as yet as currently “management” cleans the water bowl, guess I’m lucky so far.......

Hehe, the management here gets well grumpy when i say I've used the 22" Fornetto smoker as she has a real dislike for cleaning the grates & bowl on that one as they don't fit the sink. Hes  actually seems pleased when I present the ProQ grates & bowls for cleaning. Bless.

Cheers n Gone Nick

• 4 weeks later...