Hi all new member

Hugh Crackman

Hey all, 

From Portsmouth area and I am new to smoking. 

First smoke taking place this week, a 2kg brisket on my Weber 47cm Kettle. Gone with a smoke rub after reviewing hundreds and hundreds of rubs on various websites (then I stumbled across this forum - perfect!). 

I'll update this with a few pictures and the outcome of my first attempt in a few days time. 

Not expecting it to be perfect, but I'm already thinking of the next smoke, ribs possibly... we'll see

Cant wait to get smoking. 

:welcome: If you are doing a test burn just remember that the kettle will run different once you add chilled meat. Especially if it's 2kg of Brisket so when you cook it you may find it takes a little longer for the kettle to come back up to temp. 

I'm a believer in throwing some food on while learning. Pork is a very forgiving meat especially sausages. Or even some veg like peppers/potatoes to take up some flavour. and if it goes wrong its cheap.  I started with ribs and chicken drumsticks on my first WSM cook. took longer than expected but it was tasty and subsequent cooks have only gotten better especially once the smoker has built up some carbon to assist in the sealing. 

• Like 1

So, completed my 1st smoke, 1.8kg Brisket, smoke rub (cumin, cayenne pepper, ustard and garlic granules, paprika laid on top of Coleman's mustard) 2.5 hour cook before I reached the stall and then wrapped and cooked for 3 hours... really pleased with my first attempt... few lessons, temp was really high, started off nice and low but ended up at 130/ 140o at one stage. Probably should of let her sit for another 1/2 hour before wrapping and another hour once wrapped... but she tasted unbelievable... planning my next smoke already :) a little dry in some places, which I think was due to the temp going high at one stage 20200524_154639.thumb.jpg.cbe2c44accff0b8956ec093a49f31258.jpg

20200524_122058.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hugh Crackman said:

So, completed my 1st smoke, 1.8kg Brisket, smoke rub (cumin, cayenne pepper, ustard and garlic granules, paprika laid on top of Coleman's mustard) 2.5 hour cook before I reached the stall and then wrapped and cooked for 3 hours... really pleased with my first attempt... few lessons, temp was really high, started off nice and low but ended up at 130/ 140o at one stage. Probably should of let her sit for another 1/2 hour before wrapping and another hour once wrapped... but she tasted unbelievable... planning my next smoke already :) a little dry in some places, which I think was due to the temp going high at one stage 20200524_154639.thumb.jpg.cbe2c44accff0b8956ec093a49f31258.jpg

20200524_122058.jpg

looks great, and a nice smoke ring👍

• Like 1