What to get!?

Riddell

Hi guys,
Sorry if this has been asked already a few times, but I'm new to the forum and was struggling to work out what to pull the trigger on.
I don't know if I want Kettle or if I want to get a ProQ Frontier/WSM.
I've currently got an outback gas grill that we use for quick, impromptu cooks. But I really want to get into smoking and longer cooks. 
Not sure if it's worth spending the extra few £'s and just getting a bullet, or if it makes more sense to get a kettle and run that as the one and only 'go to' bbq. 

All I see are people raving about the kettles and that they can run hot and fast smokes on them, but are they limited to that? Or can you run low and slow as well, or is that a mad amount of effort on a kettle? Just struggling a bit with working out which option would be best
Thanks

Welcome to the forum Riddell

There's an old adage "Ask 10 folks a question...and you'll get 11 Answers"  this is one of those times. I started off with a bullet then an offset, onto a kettle, back to a bullet...it's crazy dude once the BBQbug bites.

#1...What price range are you in??

#2..What would you prefer to cook overall.?

#3 Do you want hot & fast....or lo & slow ?

Ice.

Hi Ice, Thanks for the welcome and reply!

Price range is max up to £350.

As for what I prefer to cook, I don't know yet as I'm just starting out. Would like to be able to try various things on whatever I get to build experience and find what we enjoy more, H+F and L+S if possible. Would love to be able to smoke Short Ribs, briskets, pork belly and fish generally, plus whatever takes our fancy if it's doable. Think I'm quite happy cooking burgers etc on the gas, unless there's serious benefit to firing up a charcoal grill for those sort of things. Do love a ribeye and Côte de boeuf as well, but I've only done the Côte on a grill and then oven so far.

So I was looking at the Weber Master-Touch kettle, Weber Smokey Mountain (saw so many videos and reviews on it) and also the ProQ Frontier (Suggestion from our local marker Smoker who got one a while back and loves it)

Edited by Riddell

Let’s start off correct, Never say Sorry when asking a question, it’s important to you, so go ahead and ask any questions you like, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Ok, once again welcome to the Forum.

What to get? As @Icefever has said, that’s a difficult one as it really is personal preference, but seems like you want to lean towards Low & Slow at this stage, so I would go for the WSM or similar.

You have your Gas back up for Hot & Fast, and once the Addiction has really consumed you, you will buy a Charcoal grill anyway :th_INGardenbbq7: :hungry-2: 

• Like 3

I debated this for a long time. I watched lots of WSM videos and ultimately decided to go for the 57cm one. Despite it being just my GF and me I figured if I need the extra space I have it. I can use without the mid section and make it a more kettle style cook for when its just a wee steak or two. The Pro Q is better designed for this but it is achievable on WSM. I find myself loading the WSM and cooking more than I need for a meal but I freeze and then I can have delicious Q later without having to wait. The Pro Qs do have a better range of accessories  plus the in built handles are a dream but I generally don't move my WSM once it's set up for a cook. 

A lot of people seal their smokers but I have had mine since 2016 and haven't felt the need but others mileage may vary. I think either way you'll have a great time.

A bullet smoker is a great place to learn however it is a gateway drug to wanting more smokers. 😋 

That's perfect. Thanks a lot for the replies guys, really appreciated. 
Think you've hit the nail on the head with the bullet. And the option to take the mid section off to try and grill on it! Sounds like a nice way to give it a try before I inevitably get a kettle anyway at some point 😆

Yeah I got a recommendation for the ProQ and it looks great. Even have the extra mid section you can get to make it larger if I ever needed more space. I'll have a good rummage around online, but looks like everyone's had the same idea and the UK is officially 'Sold Out'. Will keep my eyes peeled!
I'm assuming here, that the Frontier (40cm grill) would be sensible...there's just me and my gf as well, but (lockdown limiting at the moment obviously) normally have around 6+ people for BBQ's, so probably won't be needing something that can cook for 20 people

8 minutes ago, CWC said:

i brought the Ranger much as I love it I'm finding the grill surface to small

I'd say go with the biggest you can afford. If you can spend the extra on the excel it'll give you the biggest space. I like having a whole salmon side on without having to cut it. But budget does play a factor plus if you go for smaller one you can afford an extra accessory or two :) 

47 minutes ago, hoogl said:

I'd say go with the biggest you can afford. If you can spend the extra on the excel it'll give you the biggest space. I like having a whole salmon side on without having to cut it. But budget does play a factor plus if you go for smaller one you can afford an extra accessory or two :) 

I am usually a Bigger is Better advocate! But yeah, cost might be the only issue. 
When you all mention accessories, are there any essentials that I should be looking at? I've already got a Meater thermometer that I use on the gas and the oven. Obviously a chimney will be needed and a cover. But anything obvious that your experience says would be a super smart purchase by any chance? 

57 minutes ago, CWC said:

You can preorder a Frontier on ProQ site they get the stock around the 18th this month. i brought the Ranger much as I love it I'm finding the grill surface to small

Yeah the guy that recommended the ProQ had a ranger and said exactly the same thing. Wasn't really big enough for most of his smokes.

57 minutes ago, CWC said:

You can preorder a Frontier on ProQ site they get the stock around the 18th this month. i brought the Ranger much as I love it I'm finding the grill surface to small

Just had a reply from them saying they're already out of their pre-orders 😅and that I should keep an eye out on their stockists websites

Edited by Riddell

Definitely a cover if it's living outdoors. Though you could build a smoke shed.😄  A chimney starter is great but you could use the gasser to light a few briquettes and save some cash and get later. Perhaps a pizza stone but any brand will do. I'd also say invest in a cold smoke generator as it adds another dimension to cooking.

I'd say a dual probe thermometer but the meater is a good piece of kit. but maybe extra probes will be handy for more cuts of meat as the proq will allow you to do a bigger range at once. I'll assume you already have a instant read. 

I wouldn't rush out to get too many accessories too early. have a few cooks on it first and then pick them up as you feel you are wanting to try different cooks like rotisserie etc. 

• 2 weeks later...