Wsm diffuser

Foggy01.1983

Hi guys I'm going to have a go with putting sand in the diffuser today.

I'm seeking advice from someone who has already done this with their wsm.

1 is any play pit sand ok to use?

2 how much do you put in?

3 When cooking do you put anything over the sand to catch drippings?

I do it with my ProQ, I fill the bowl about 2/3rds full of sand and cover with foil, so it doesn't contaminate the sand from the drippings. then just replace the foil after every cook. 

I used to just break the sand up before every cook, it can be used many times, but can end up being baked hard into 1 big clump if you don't break it up iyswim

Also nothing stopping you putting a drip pan filled with some water to place on top of the sand in the bowl or on a spare grill rack if you have one during the cook, if you still want a bit of moisture in the chamber during your cook.

2 hours ago, sotv said:

I do it with my ProQ, I fill the bowl about 2/3rds full of sand and cover with foil, so it doesn't contaminate the sand from the drippings. then just replace the foil after every cook. 

I used to just break the sand up before every cook, it can be used many times, but can end up being baked hard into 1 big clump if you don't break it up iyswim

Also nothing stopping you putting a drip pan filled with some water to place on top of the sand in the bowl or on a spare grill rack if you have one during the cook, if you still want a bit of moisture in the chamber during your cook.

Cheers buddy. I managed to get some from Tesco. 

The kids are happy they have the rest to play with.

I am going to get the bbq as hot as possible before using incase there is anything that may taint the taste.

Is there an issue if the sand does bake hard or do you need to brake it up for a reason?

Cheers

Steve

Thought I would give my experience on my wsm set up.

Changing from water to sand, enabled me to get much hotter temperatures. Once the sand had dried out (the sand was moist to begin with) it was easy to control and gave me options of higher temps.

I also sealed the door with flat fire tape and also the lid with normal fire rope. No more smoke escaping around them yayyyy.

It's only taken me 6 years to give this a go and I wish I had done it sooner!!

I may be tempted into getting a blower at some point to give that a try.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Prolly said it before but I replaced my water bowl with a 3mm thick disc of stainless steel.

Done countless cooks with it and can confirm I’ll never change back.

Comes in handy when spraying the cider vinegar, gets a quick steam which prolly does more for my nose than the meat 🤷‍♂️

Useful for standing the bowl of pit beans on too.

14 minutes ago, Sluggy said:

Prolly said it before but I replaced my water bowl with a 3mm thick disc of stainless steel.

Done countless cooks with it and can confirm I’ll never change back.

Comes in handy when spraying the cider vinegar, gets a quick steam which prolly does more for my nose than the meat 🤷‍♂️

Useful for standing the bowl of pit beans on too.

I did something similar with my UDS. Took a steel pizza pan, whizzed the raised sides off and then Swiss cheesed it. Let's heat through and allows the fat drippings to hit the coals and flavour the food.

IMG_20170326_095925.jpg

• Like 1

I didn’t put holes in mine as I had the disc cut just big enough to sit on the lugs built in the smoker. No direct heat but plenty of side space for smoke and indirect heat.

I started with a uds and had a lot of fun messing with configurations, built my charcoal holder out of an old washing machine drum. Hermes deliverer found it very amusing bringing an unwrapped drum with nothing but a label stuck to it 😁 

Still miss using it to be honest, took all sorts of abuse and still produced top notch grub!! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...