My 1st attempt at smoking Chicken

StuieUK

hi all (hopefully got the right section here)...

So went for my 1st attempt at smoking on Sunday just gone, heres what i did:

Built smoker! :D  (Bar-Be-Quick Smoker)
Made a minion setup of Briq's (Briq's being the ones u get from argos/sainsburys <ie: cheap!>  )
Probably used around 3.5kg of briq's!, used a chimney starter and natural firelighters to get chimney going (not in the smoker grill pan)
After 20 mins, emptied the chimney into the centre of my fuel pan (the bar-be-quick has a deep fuel pan, and a small grate so fuel doesnt sit on the bottom of the pan)....
I had soaked some JD whiskey chips for over an hour, so i put a good hanfdul of those into the pan....  (on the packet, it says the chips are for gas bbq / electric smoker ?? )

This is probably where i went wrong (maybe...).....
I put the middle section of the smoker onto the base, then put in the water pan, and poured in a good amount of warm water.
2 mins later, i put lid on and opened the top vent half way........
I didnt check the temp (totally forgot), didnt open the bottom door to let good airflow in either....  i just looked at the smoke coming out!  :D :D;) 

So, in total, after 25 mins of lighting the Briq's, i put chicken on the 2 grills. (thats about 1 min after i had put the lid on as above)
I placed 5 chicken thighs on the lower grate (boneless thighs, sprayed with Olive Oil, and rubbed with 'Stubbs' chicken rub)...
On the top rack, i placed a large chicken (about 1.8kg), no rub, no oil, just straight out of the Lidl wrapping! :D

I then just left it, thinking i just leave it for 3hrs....
So around 2hrs 45, i open the lid to check, the colour of chickens looks pretty dam good, and the smell was a nice mild smokey smell, not overpowering...
I used my meat thermom to check the temps, and this is where i think i might have gone wrong..
In the thigh's, the internal temp was showing 62c  , and the whole chicken, the temp was 65c...
Lid back on, i put thermom in the top vent a few mins later to get a reading, was showing around 65c (temp on lid said it was 50c ! )
I opened the lower door, poked the briq's and moved slightly, then blew into the briq's to get them to heat up which worked a bit.....)

Took chicken out of smoker at around 3hrs 10, and sliced open the thigh piece , and got the whole chicken and sliced into the breast......
The taste was awesome, on both pieces.....    but forwhatever reason, because the temp was low, and i know it should be at least 75c internal, i was convinced it wasnt cooked enough....
Cut deeper into the whole chicken, and towards the inner part of the breast, came across a slight bit of red, so ended up putting it all in the oven on 200c

Took thighs out after 20 mins, they still tasted nice, but cos i thought they might not be cooked, your brain tells u not to enjoy them as much (so me and the wife say!)
The whole chicken cooked in the oven for about 40 mins, so when it was taken out and cooled for a bit, it was sliced up and so on, but i think it became over cooked then!

So this weekend coming, i will try again, and i will be using "Bar-be-quick" briq's , as Asda are doing a bag for £5 (5kg) , will buy a few bags, and probably some lump...
Totally get it with the brand of fuel, but will use the cheaper stuff whilst in the learning stage......

In my mind, because of the way i read things, i dont get the cook times...
Weber briq's say they burn for 3hrs ?  So in my mind, thats like, add briq's to pan, set alight, get the temp u want (say 250f) , and then in 3hrs, they should start to cool ???
Yet i read and see vid's of guys/gals using smokers and maintaining a 250f temp on the same briq's for 8hrs ?!!!!
Makes me wonder how do i cook a brisket or pork butt for a long time, without having to remove all from the pan to add new briq's ! ?   (i am a super noob to smoking!)

:D

smoker1.jpg

Ok Stuie, there's a lot going on here mate...I'll do my best to try and help..

On 4/29/2020 at 6:49 PM, StuieUK said:

Made a minion setup of Briq's (Briq's being the ones u get from argos/sainsburys <ie: cheap!>  )
Probably used around 3.5kg of briq's!, used a chimney starter and natural firelighters to get chimney going (not in the smoker grill pan)
After 20 mins, emptied the chimney into the centre of my fuel pan

This may be one of the reasons for the burn time?? using the minion setup, try the snake setup...you start at one end so that the coals burn slower and follows the line of fuel around the fire box.

I put the middle section of the smoker onto the base, then put in the water pan, and poured in a good amount of warm water.

You'll find a thread on the forum about using water in the pan, a lot of us use sand for a number of reasons...it's more stable and on a long cook you don't have to keep topping it up...PIA that is.

didnt open the bottom door to let good airflow in either....  i just looked at the smoke coming out!

The fire needs oxygen to burn, with the bottom vent closed it will make it harder to maintain an even temp.

I used my meat thermom to check the temps, and this is where i think i might have gone wrong..
In the thigh's, the internal temp was showing 62c  , and the whole chicken, the temp was 65c...

Ok chicken can be a bugger, take a look here about internal temps....https://blog.thermoworks.com/chicken/thermal-tips-simple-roasted-chicken/

Lid back on, i put thermom in the top vent a few mins later to get a reading, was showing around 65c (temp on lid said it was 50c ! )
I opened the lower door, poked the briq's and moved slightly, then blew into the briq's to get them to heat up which worked a bit.....)

A couple of things here...#1... don't trust the crappy thermos on the lid. go by a good digi probe..

#2..at 65c that is no where near hot enough.

#3..you opened the vent and it worked, (oxygen) 👍.

Cut deeper into the whole chicken, and towards the inner part of the breast, came across a slight bit of red,

Now this is a tricky one, because you can find a "pink colour" on a cooked chicken....again a link that will explain it better than I can...https://www.thekitchn.com/chicken-still-pink-after-cooki-157168

It was your first attempt so don't be put off by it...you say your up for another go this weekend....may I suggest you spachcock the chicken it will cook quicker and you may find it much more relaxing.

Hope this helps matey.

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

cheers for the reply dude! :)

I dont mind the length of time it takes to cook (any food), i just need to make sure i get the heat right so the food is safe to eat! :D
and yeah, spatch is quicker, appreciate that.....
i got 20kg of briq's , so plenty practise time!

Idea this weekend, is to smoke  a small pork shoulder!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Icefever said:

You'll find a thread on the forum about using water in the pan, a lot of us use sand for a number of reasons...it's more stable and on a long cook you don't have to keep topping it up...PIA that is.

Tesco has bags of play sand on offer the other day i noticed, 2 bags for £4, it's usually £2.50 a bag. You want to use play sand as it's been washed & cleaned rather than sharp sand from your local builders merchants, 2 bags should last an age as you can of course reuse the sand each time provided you keep it clean by covering it with foil.

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, StuieUK said:

daft question.....
if water is used to keep moisture in the smoker, using just sand surely creates a dry scenario ?

You can use a small spray bottle for water if you think it needs it, even use apple juice on pork.

Ice.

IN a WSM water is there  to act as heat sink to smooth out the temp and particularly at lower temps. Sand does the same, I have done both and noticed no difference. I  believe it is not a steamer after all it is a bbq and the moisture in the meat is the key thing.  If you bake it does not have a water bowl after all. I have done smoked rotisserie chicken on kettle indirect and it comes out lovely and juice. To be honest water is fine except when you do long cook it is hassle topping up with the bowl with boiling water so sand is more convenient.  For chicken, water is unlikely to run out.

yeah, when i did the 3hr on sunday, the water bowl was still quite full (kinda)

cheers for the input guys, will defo get some sand!

I wanted to try another method i saw on youtube, which was just foiling the water pan, getting the smoker up to 275f, then placing rubbed chicken breasts on the top rack for 60 - 80mins ......
No water in the pan....
Looks good on the video ! :D:D
so much i want to try, better learn how to get it right before i spend a ton on waste!

reading ice's reply, i gotta get that temp right 1st,  will make a new post on weekend when i attempt noob cook no 2 ! :D

Enjoy the journey and there are lots of people here to help you on that, one step at a time mate  I did smoked lamb the other day and only used half a bowl over 5 hours at 110c,  do not need to fill it each time.  I use weber recipes from the weber books as a good guide, . With whole chicken it is tricky as you have seen but if you rotisserie it you get a good cook. maybe you could rig up something cheep, a second hand dc motor  and a rod welded to that if it does not have  suitable slot on the drive shaft.  or this fits with the weber rotesserie bar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072HPVRTB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1