Hi

Foggy01.1983

Hi,

Thought I would introduce myself and say hi.

After searching through google and mainly finding American curing sites I stumbled across this one, which looks like it has lots of valuable information.

For past few months I've had fun making my own ham, bacon, sausages and burgers.

I've been using premixed cures from weschenfelder and am now looking to start from scratch.

I currently have two slabs of bacon cold smoking in a weber Smokey mountain, one I'm using oak and the other I'll be using hickory.

I will look forward in joining in the conversations.

Steve from Suffolk.

1 minute ago, CWC said:

I normally use Surfys for my cure mixes, real nice guy to deal with

https://www.homecuring.co.uk

Yes I've seen their site as well.

I'm going to move away from premixed cures as i do find the weschenfelder mix's are too salty for my liking. I end up having to soak for quite a while after curing.

I will probably follow wades calculator, which looks much more accurate.

1 hour ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Once again Foggy, welcome to the Forum.

If you go to our Store you can buy Cure #1 there.

Thank you for the welcome. 

It's probably me being stupid but i can't see cure#1 on that link, it all appears to be premixed ready cures. 

I don't mind being called Foggy as I've been called a lot worse, however my real name is Steve if you don't want to use my screen name 😄

3 hours ago, Foggy01.1983 said:

Yes I've seen their site as well.

I'm going to move away from premixed cures as i do find the weschenfelder mix's are too salty for my liking. I end up having to soak for quite a while after curing.

I will probably follow wades calculator, which looks much more accurate.

If you are using the Supracure from Weschenfelder, unless they have changed the recipe recently you will be producing bacon at 5% salt - which is way too high for most peoples tastes. It has another downside too - it uses not only Sodium Nitrite but also Potassium Nitrate. Potassium nitrate is banned in the USA for bacon production and, whilst it isnt banned, it is also not recommended by the EU for bacon production in Europe. When I last checked a couple of years ago the amount of ingoing Nitrite that it put in the bacon was also 2 x both the US and EU commercial limits for bacon production.

Producing your own cure is the best way. The basic cure mix is very easy to make up and you can tweak the salt and sugar content between batches to get it to your personal liking. Also you can adjust the flavours.

I would start off with a 2.5% salt and 1.25% sugar with Nitrite at 150 mg/kg. 

For the base cure mix, for each 1 Kg of meat you would require

2.4 grams of Cure #1
22.6 grams of salt - which with the salt in the Cure#1 will achieve levels of 2.5%
12.5 grams sugar - this helps to balance out the salt taste

The amount of flavouring is approximately 10 grams per Kg of meat.

Here is a link you may find helpful 
https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/301-using-nitrite-and-nitrate-safely-when-curing/

If you drop me your address in PM I will hapily sort you out with your first batch of Cure #1 :thumb1:

Wade

• Thanks 1