Still harvesting Chillies

Wade

• 3 years later...

Attempting to grow some myself this year for the first time. I like cooking Mexican food and have a low tolerance of heat so gone with some milder versions , I tried 4 different seed types and the Padron and Pearl varieties have germinated, the Trinidad Perfume and Chilaca haven't, but planted another couple of seeds to see if they take this time.

I understand chillies can be difficult to get going from seed, so hoping they continue to grow and will be able to harvest some homegrown chillies for myself for the first time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sotv said:

Attempting to grow some myself this year for the first time. I like cooking Mexican food and have a low tolerance of heat so gone with some milder versions , I tried 4 different seed types and the Padron and Pearl varieties have germinated, the Trinidad Perfume and Chilaca haven't, but planted another couple of seeds to see if they take this time.

I understand chillies can be difficult to get going from seed, so hoping they continue to grow and will be able to harvest some homegrown chillies for myself for the first time.

I’m interested in giving this a go. Any good guides to follow?

also sotv do you keep posting all the great deals on HUKD?

16 hours ago, smash said:

I’m interested in giving this a go. Any good guides to follow?

also sotv do you keep posting all the great deals on HUKD?

I got the seeds from Suttons and  followed this guide as it's my first go and use my bbq spray bottle to water them. I'm at the 2 leaf stage and have transplanted them to the 3 inch pots and going in a greenhouse next week probably

Yes I have posted a couple of Weber bits & bobs on there in the last week or so, as they've considerably cheaper on Amazon than elsewhere for some reason recently.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

My first bit of advice would be to stick mainly with relatively medium to hot chillies. It is oh-so-very-tempting to put in a mass of Bhut Jalokias or Carolina Reapers but they are actually way too hot to be used in most cooking and they give almost no flavour. By all means grow a couple of these but treat them as " I grew them because I can" chillies.

A good staple in the Jalapeno as it gives a good amount of heat that is easily quantified. Mix these with some Birds Eye chillies if you need extra heat. Both are very prolific. You can smoke the Jalapeno peppers to make Chipotle.
Another good one for drying is Cayenne. There are several varieties and they are all prolific. If you get the long variety (Long John or Long Slip) then you get mote chillie mass per plant.

You must grow one or two for flavour. Scotch Bonnet and Habenero give good flavour and heat. I like growing "Lemon Drop" or "Orange Drop" as they have a good citrus flavour. Hungarian Hot Wax has good flavout too - it is mild and can be used raw in salads.

A few of the chillies we grow we use as attractive annual garden plants - with the chillie crop being a bonus. "Vampire" or "Nosferatu" are a lovely purple varieties. Some of the small milti-colour chillies look great in pots on the patio.

• Like 1