Freezing Steaks To Avoid Ice Crystals

sotv

I don't normally freeze steak but tend to buy it fresh. But Morrisons have a good deal on Rump and Ribeye at the Butchers Counter this week, so thinking of freezing a few KG of each.

What is the best way to freeze them and thawing them when needed? As some meats don't come out the same way after freezing and suffer from ice crystals.

I have a freezer that goes down to -18 Centigrade and a vacuum sealer or if there are any better ways of preparing or packaging them before freezing, happy to read any suggestions

Thanks

Interesting thread mate,  we buy in bulk and vac-pac & freeze, sometimes we will take a joint of meat from the frezer and it has freezer burn.  Some come out the way they went in,  but I do see some that get the burn, why???  the vac-pac works great, the joints all look ok when we load the freezer,  but then the burn happens on the odd one??.

I feel that we're missing something from the vac-pac to taking a joint out,  must admit even the "burn" one still thaw & cook ok??? watching this to see if we are doing something wrong.

Ice.

So I bought these steaks today, if I froze them as they are, then I know I would get ice crystals form inside the packaging as with the freezer bags. 

Had better success with vac bags but if in there for more than a couple of months, ice can form inside, I have found,

Doubt they will be in there for longer than that tbh, but would like to know a more successful way of freezing meat, than I currently use

Untitled.thumb.png.72cfe2cd704f65f9aca59b5363e5f869.png

• Like 2

I remember speaking to a chef who was telling me that meat loses 70% of its flavour. I generally don’t worry about the loss of flavour as it still tastes great. He did say a good way to freeze the meat is to wrap in freezer paper then foil then in a zip lock bag. Hope that is helpful. 

• Like 2