Beef Sausages.

Icefever

We're off to Bookers today for some more Tri-tips (Beef Rump Tails)  also I want about 2kg of British Beef Chuck Rolls.  I would like to have a go at a Beef & Guinness sausage....t1943.gif

On their website it shows an 8kg joint, I'm hoping that Dave will cut me a 2kg piece???. otherwise I'll have to did deeper into my piggy bank.. looking at Wed to have a go. 👍

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Icefever said:

We're off to Bookers today for some more Tri-tips (Beef Rump Tails)  also I want about 2kg of British Beef Chuck Rolls.  I would like to have a go at a Beef & Guinness sausage....t1943.gif

On their website it shows an 8kg joint, I'm hoping that Dave will cut me a 2kg piece???. otherwise I'll have to did deeper into my piggy bank.. looking at Wed to have a go. 👍

Ice.

I love to know what the chuck rolls are like. Can you show us some piccies? I would like to try a decent bit of chuck and treat it like a brisket. 

Phil.

18 hours ago, Mick said:

Sounds good, are you going to add extra fat to the Chuck?

I was thinking of adding a small amount of pork fat Mick  but I didn't get chuck.

15 hours ago, Phlashster said:

I would like to try a decent bit of chuck and treat it like a brisket.

Funny you said this Phil,  because I finished up with rolled brisket....the story goes like this.

Went into Bookers, first off no pork loins, so starting my next batch of bacon will have to wait until next week. Asked Dave about the chuck and he went into the fridge and came out with this ginormous slab of beef.
I asked if they cut it?  no, they don't, and standing there looking at 8kgs of meat I thought it's not going to work as I don't what to use say 2 or 3 kg then freeze the rest of the meat, then thaw, make sausages/burgers because it's not a good idea to re-freeze as I understand.

One of Dave's guys there said that he does his sausages and he goes for rolled brisket.  It has enough fat content so it's ideal for the job. Dave then picked up a bag that was half the size of the chuck so I went with that, if a butcher tells me it'll be ok who am I to question?.
I'll find out on Wed, I also have a small joint of pork shoulder to use has it was knocked down because of it's sell bydate....would have been a shame to leave it in the chiller all on it's own. 😉

Ice.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

I was thinking of adding a small amount of pork fat Mick  but I didn't get chuck.

Funny you said this Phil,  because I finished up with rolled brisket....the story goes like this.

Went into Bookers, first off no pork loins, so starting my next batch of bacon will have to wait until next week. Asked Dave about the chuck and he went into the fridge and came out with this ginormous slab of beef.
I asked if they cut it?  no, they don't, and standing there looking at 8kgs of meat I thought it's not going to work as I don't what to use say 2 or 3 kg then freeze the rest of the meat, then thaw, make sausages/burgers because it's not a good idea to re-freeze as I understand.

One of Dave's guys there said that he does his sausages and he goes for rolled brisket.  It has enough fat content so it's ideal for the job. Dave then picked up a bag that was half the size of the chuck so I went with that, if a butcher tells me it'll be ok who am I to question?.
I'll find out on Wed, I also have a small joint of pork shoulder to use has it was knocked down because of it's sell bydate....would have been a shame to leave it in the chiller all on it's own. 😉

Ice.

My butcher tells me braising steak is the same cut as chuck steak. I usually use it for Poor Mans Burnt Ends, when the braising steak is on offer around the £7 a kg mark and I get it in a roast size piece of meat to cut up into chunks, rather than it being already sliced into steaks.

I am sure your mincer, won't need to worry about that though, more so if it has enough fat and not already trimmed..

57 minutes ago, sotv said:

more so if it has enough fat and not already trimmed..

Looks ok from what I can see, and Dave assured me that there would be enough fat. What I did when making the pork & leek was I trimmed all the fat that I could then weighed both lean meat and fat to get the ratio....may do the same tomorrow??

Ice.