Other than BBQ'ing

Icefever

I know we all love using the BBQ, we wouldn't be on here otherwise...but what other cooking do you do on a day to day basis?  I use sous vide more now than ever, slow cook pot. 

Recipes run from a full pork roast on Wed, roast tatties, carrots, sprouts, the works. Thur I did a bacon and pea risotto.
We both love our own Indian and Chinese meals, I love making pasta it's so easy. 

I have a chuck for today, not sure yet what to do with it??  any ideas??

Ice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Simon said:

I have always thought about making my own pasta but don’t have much time/space. 

It doesn't take that much time or space, I do use a pasta roller/cutter...but to know what's in the pasta is worth it to me.
Since curing bacon & making my own sausages it makes you aware of what other "crap" producers use in their brand name food.
Sausages for instance...can be as little as 10% meat..one top name s/market own brand had only 7% meat and not pork for that matter.

Ice.

• Like 1

That’s great you make it all yourself. I definitely want to start making more of my own stuff. I very rarely buy sauces anymore. I’d rather just make my own. If I had a larger garden I would grow some veg. For now I make do with my herb garden. 

• Like 1

I'd love to have time to cook more than I do, but by the time I get home from work, it's too late for that. I do however have an Anova sous vide, which I'm a big fan of. I've used that in the past to do briskets and pork shoulders prior to then smoking them for a few hours. The brisket was in the sous vide for 50 hours, but it tasted fantastic at the end of it!

I also did a boneless turkey crown in the sous vide last year for Christmas. The one thing I've learnt from that is that the sous vide doesn't cook at a high enough temperature to really mellow out the raw garlic that I put in the butter as a rub and flavouring. I'd definitely recommend roasting off the fresh garlic if using it in a sous vide.

I do also have a couple of different sized slow cookers which I try and use a bit more during the week. The whole notion of cooking slow to make food fast is one I appreciate. Chuck everything in the slow cooker the night before and shove it in the fridge. Put the slow cooker on before I leave for work, it's ideal. I also added a Hive plug to this set up so that I can switch the slow cooker on from my desk mid-morning, if I want something to be cooked for 7pm and it only takes 8 hours. I did an awesome Chinese beef a few months ago.

• Like 2

I've been using sous vide for a couple of years now and it's a great way to cook,  so so easy. You mention to folks that you use the sous vide method and they look at you with surprise. About a month back a friends mother came to us to ask if we could help cook the meat for a secret birthday bash for around 45 folks.

We told her that we'd use sous vide has it was easier to do, we did both beef and pork dishes and they went down a treat. I'm using sous vide the next time I make cheese,  it's a great way to hold the milk at a set temp for up to 90 mins.

Ice.