Do different levels = different smoking time?

sub333

A very good question and one I have wondered about aswell. I always do low n slow cooks on the same level (i have a kamado but I would think airflow/behaviour would be similar).

I dont think there would be a big difference in smoking times since its indirect cooking? I would try to monitor both throughout the cook to see if one cooks slightly faster but the only problem is 'when' to start each cook. Next time I do some ribs I will have to experiment with different levels.👍

• Like 1

Used to do it plenty of times on my ProQ Frontier, only thing I'd be wary of is 2 different meats i.e. Pork and beef personally would be keen on the different meat juice dropping on the other.

I bought a (think it was called) expandable grate or grill for mine. Basically a grate with two foldable legs that when opened sat on the grill so you could fit a drip pan underneath it where it sat on the original grill and then the meat above and you still had a second level grill as per normal if that makes sense.

I can't see it on the ProQ website at the moment, but maybe worth giving them a ring to see if they still do it, if something like that interested you? Think they do an Add-A-Gril Kit now by the looks of it, but I didn't need brackets for mine as the foldable legs did the job

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

Do not believe smoke level would be different as long as there is space for air flow but temp could be higher on lower depending on set up. I use a smokefire and at low temps it is not much difference across two zones do not worth worrying about

• Like 2