Pork Belly Ribs

sotv

Rang my butcher to order a couple of racks of ribs for today, he said he only had pork belly ribs in, so I said fine. My goodness me, never had them before and they are whoppers, just going to do 1 as there are only 2 of us. Not sure how they are going to turn out as never cooked this cut of ribs before, used to st louis and baby back. There looks so much meat on it and really well trimmed, the picture is on a chopping board 14" x 10" to give you an idea of size and would estimate the meat is a good 2 inches thick at it's biggest point and they weighed 1.35 kg each .

Planning on a 3-4 hour smoke with cherry wood and wrap for 2-3 hours and see how they turn out, as never seen anything like these before.

IMG_0039.thumb.JPG.99ecc851d5f651f293f401a62c7e07e8.JPG

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2

Good point, The Bookers one's I have had still have the curly bones at the top still there, that need to be trimmed off. Didn't realise they were from the pork belly though, till now.

Doing mine at 225F so may need a little longer than 3-2-1 but see how it goes as it cooks.

Post up and show us how they go mate. I asked a butcher for some the other day and all she had was a massive rack hardly trimmed etc,  about £13 worth I think they were. Gave them a little trim and squaring up and chucked in the freezer for now. 

I'd like to see how yours turned out time and temp etc.

4 hours ago, Rob said:

Post up and show us how they go mate. I asked a butcher for some the other day and all she had was a massive rack hardly trimmed etc,  about £13 worth I think they were. Gave them a little trim and squaring up and chucked in the freezer for now. 

Very pleased with them, really juicy, loads of meat and that rack filled 2 of us up. If you have a huge appetite then you could probably eat a rack by yourself. but 7 for me and 5 for the wife were plenty.

Meat was a little more chewy than melt in your mouth but full of juice and flavour. There was a few pieces of gelatinous fat that hadn't dissolved. But as they were from the belly as you get with Pork belly slices it is very hard to dissolve it completely, but soft and tasty if you enjoy that sort of fat, or just discard if you don't. Not sure it would dissolve anymore anyway even if I had carried on cooking it for any longer. Would probably cook closer to 240F next time to reduce cooking time, but will definitely do them again as we both thought they were better ribs than we usually use.

Cooking time at 225F, 3 hours unwrapped then 2.5 hours wrapped and then another 1.5 hours unwrapped then over coals for 5 minutes either side to caramalise the bbq sauce, I put on at the end

IMG_0041.thumb.JPG.0cbff5aeb734e855cbc05b41835e0989.JPG

IMG_0043.thumb.JPG.c2f451784495a20fb5a6f89e6ec8c818.JPG

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rob said:

Kenniford Farm are good for ribs as you would expect being pig farmers. All our pork comes from there. They do a great St Louis ribs. You might have to ask for Noel (the butcher) to cut them out specially, but always good & plenty meaty.

Reasonable too

Cheers n Gone Nick