Rubs

sub333

Is there a consensus on the best rubs for specific meats? Am reverse-searing a cote de boeuf this weekend, and am keen to keep it simple, so was just planning to use salt and coarsely ground black pepper. 

So far, I've used Bad Byron's Butt Rub as an all-purpose rub on a few different meats, and while I think it's fine, I want to narrow down the key ingredients depending on the meat I'm cooking. 

But it would be good to hear from others if you think that beef lends itself to a particular ingredient, and pork another etc 

The options are wide. I nake my own. It is easy. I find the simpler ones are best. For beef maybe this.

Moroccan 

1.5 tsp caraway seeds

1.5 tsp coriander seeds

1.5 tsp cumin seeds

1.5 tsp muscovado sugar.

1 tsp salt

0.25 tsp cinnamon

0.25 tsp ground black pepper

.0.25 tsp ground cloves

Use on a sirloin joint.

Smoke with mesquite wood

• Thanks 1

On a 5 to 6 kg brisket covered with mustard. Injected with stock. Use below rub to make paste with the mustard and stock that leaks from the injected brisket.

2 tbsp chilli powder 

1 tbsp sofy light brown sugar

1 tbsp salt

1 tbsp onion powder

1 tbsp paprika

1 tbsp ground cumin

2 tsp ground black pepper

2 tsp ground all spice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Memphis Dust

Yield. Makes about 3 cups. Typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
Preparation time. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup kosher salt (Malvern is good)
4 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons dried rosemary leaves, ground to a powder

Experiment with smoked paprika instead of the regular paprika. you can also add heat in the form of chillies or powder

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Just reading through some of these rub recipes, and I have a question. What type of salt do you use? Loads of recipes talk about kosher salt, but I've not easily or affordably been able to find that in the UK. Is regular sea salt flakes like Maldons a good substitute? I've also got some course sea salt crystals.

This is the biggest concern I have with following recipes to make my own rubs, because getting the salt wrong, using one that is too fine and therefore you get too much of it, just ruins everything.