Cote de boeuf question

sub333

Cote de boeuf/beef rib on the bone is by far my favourite cut of meat. 

I reverse-seared one on the ProQ a few weeks ago and was very happy with the result, but is it better than searing it first and cooking it slowly? 

If I'm cooking indoors, I would sear it then finish in oven, but on a smoker, could you sear it over the coals then smoke it? 

Again, thanks for any tips. 

You could try it that way. I prefer to reverse sear it as it allows me to rest before searing then I can tuck straight in. I think either is good though. I always thought it gets a better smoke ring if its applied when its cooler. 

I think it's all down to taste. I say you experiment, get two steaks and try one each way and see what is more to your taste. 😁

Edited by hoogl
spelling
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, hoogl said:

You should try the cold grate method. Though the first Cowboy/Côte de Boeuf  I did I smoked over oak then reverse seared on the coals caveman style. It's worth a try at least once. 

Can you do that with briquettes? I thought you couldn't, because of what they're made of - I have lump, too, which is OK for 'dirty' BBQing, isn't it?

Well, that was embarrassing.

I got Farenheit muddled up with Centigrade yesterday 😳🤬😥

Set the beef for 122˚ and I wondered why it was miles away after three hours.

Once I realised, the internal temp of the beef was 72˚C, so let it rest to allow any juices that were left to do their thing, then quick sear over the coals.

The end product was very tasty, and still had a little moisture in, but was WAY more overcooked that I would have liked. Very frustrating, but a lesson learned!

• Sad 1

Whoops. oh well mate, roll with it and learn for next time. I try and slow down to get the details right and often work with I have got, improvise as need to, the national tailgate I cooked pretty much by myself rather than the usual coop resource and work together I usually do: I did a lot of improvising and using the whatever was available that at the time as suited. bit of everything but it all turned out well in the end

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sub333 said:

Well, that was embarrassing.

I got Farenheit muddled up with Centigrade yesterday 😳🤬😥

Set the beef for 122˚ and I wondered why it was miles away after three hours.

Once I realised, the internal temp of the beef was 72˚C, so let it rest to allow any juices that were left to do their thing, then quick sear over the coals.

The end product was very tasty, and still had a little moisture in, but was WAY more overcooked that I would have liked. Very frustrating, but a lesson learned!

I’ve done that as well but went the other way. Meant to be 225F and when I realised my error I changed plans for the meal to burgers. I’m sure we’ve all made that mistake once or twice. 

• Like 1