Smartfire with a mobile hotspot

Hi All,

Mark @ Smartfire has confirmed that you can use a single mobile phone as a wifi hotspot and to control the Smartfire as long as you configure it in the following way which does initially require two phones.

• Setup the hotspot on phone A. 
  • Use phone B to run the app, connected to the hotspot.
  • Configure the Smartfire to the hotspot, using phone B. 
  • Once the Smartfire is up and running, phone B can be shut off. 
  • Continue to use phone A as the hotspot and now you can run the app to control the Smartfire on it also. 

Thanks, Phil.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sotv said:

So that means both phones need the app installed as well? I have an old motorola android phone and the wife an iphone, hope they can be used together? Only one way to find out I suppose

Yes, both need the app, albeit phone B only briefly. 

I don't have an iPhone, but i have monitored my Smartfire on an Android phone, Android tablet and a PC using a web browser all at the same time. I see no reason why you couldn't use yours together.

Phil.

3 minutes ago, Icefever said:

It now looks like I may need this Cake dish adapter??? Mark @ Smartfire has been on to me??

What did you order from Macs BBQ? Universal/Threaded Adapter + Bullet Smoker Adapter ?

If so, i assume this includes the cake tin adaptor.  Look here for pictures https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/392-smartfire-review/?do=findComment&comment=12178

You could always ring Macs to confirm.

Phil.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Icefever said:

I'm getting more confused by the minute....and I don't have the smegging thing yet....m0902.gif    🤣

Ice.

This will be only needed if using a hotspot  (Billing, camping etc) at home you just connect to router once during setup and it finds it every time you use it then and just control it via 1 phone, tablet or laptop. Nice and simple and works great

If you haven't read it already, read @Phlashster connecting to home wifi and the 2.4 ghz band if you have dual broadband. Something about 20mhz as well. I rang my broadband provider and they put me on it, after speaking to them on the phone.

18 minutes ago, Icefever said:

It now looks like I may need this Cake dish adapter??? Mark @ Smartfire has been on to me???

Ice.

Didn't they send you one on ordering, till the new adaptor comes out, you would always have needed one as it is the only way to cover the 3 holes you use the Smartfire on the ProQ.

Edited by sotv

16 minutes ago, sotv said:

you would always have needed one as it is the only way to cover the 3 holes you use the Smartfire on the ProQ.

ProQ just been on it's coming with the correct adapter fitting,  bolt it on and keep t'other vents closed.....jobs a good..🤞

Ice.

19 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Ian from Macs BBQ is now a Forum Memeber, @Mack

Brilliant,  just the sort we want on here, great guy had a beer off him at Brew'N'Q,  he can bring some kit to Billing and get some orders in.....but don't forget the beers...m01100.gif

Ice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phlashster said:

Shame I wont get a chance to use it this weekend. 

Same here, went to Bookers yesterday for a pork butt and they had sold out....what the hells going on???  everybody cooking butt this weekend???   m01100.gif

Never mind we are going to a friends bbq on Sat, so let some one else cook instead....I've got a big slab of bacon loin to smoke on Sunday.  t1616.gif

Ice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

Same here, went to Bookers yesterday for a pork butt and they had sold out....what the hells going on???  everybody cooking butt this weekend???   m01100.gif

Never mind we are going to a friends bbq on Sat, so let some one else cook instead....I've got a big slab of bacon loin to smoke on Sunday.  t1616.gif

Ice.

That's a shame, I suppose Bookers can't react to a hot weekend forecast and if they have sold out of stock, it is just bad luck. 

Morrisons sell Pork Shoulder up to 4kg in size if you have one close enough? Or maybe a local butchers, the one I am trying for the first time today sells it for £3.50 a kg and they will trim and retie it for me. Going to pick a couple of racks of ribs as well he does them for around £3 a kg and he reckons they come in just under a couple of kg each, so sound quite meaty, but untrimmed at that weight I would imagine.

I am cooking pulled pork this weekend for my grandsons birthday party for the adults along with a goat shoulder. Timings not going to be brilliant with the party starting at 1pm. Pork shoulder will be alright as that can go on about midnight. But evidently Goat shoulder can take anything from 6-9 hours, so going to have to get up about 3-4 am to put it on. I reckon and just stick it in a picnic cooler wrapped if done too early.

Going to try the sand method in the waterbowl as well see if that helps with any heat spikes as well.

Are you cold or hot smoking your bacon loin?